Chapter Six: Personal Meaning

Your P.O.V.
A stupid, annoying noise emanating from the worst thing in the world wakes me up the next morning.
Other people may call it an alarm but I like my definition better.

'At least I won't be late to school today' I think looking at the clock and seeing I have plenty of time until school starts. I get up and do everything I usually do except not as rushed this time. When I got downstairs, already dressed, Grandma practically faints.

''(y/n) I don't think I've seen you conscious this early for ages.'' She says holding a hand over her heart.

''Very funny Grandma, very funny.'' I say sarcastically and grab some breakfast. Halfway through my food the doorbell rings, Grandma sends me a questioning look and I shrug my shoulders, heading to the door. I open it and am greeted by a guys back. He spins around and smiles at me, my heart melts at that smile of his.

''H-Hey Suga. What a-are you doing here?'' I stutter out to him and his smile widens.

''I thought that I'd walk you to school, you know, make sure you actually get there on time.'' He says beginning to smirk at me. His face then turns into panic,
''Um, unless you really don't want me to! Then I'll just head off now, without you!'' He says hurriedly starting to turn around.
I grab his arm hurriedly to stop him walking off,

''No! Uh- I'll- just give me a second to grab my bag and we can go.'' I say quickly retracting my hand as my face warms up. I head inside and run upstairs grabbing all my stuff and fanning my face to get rid of the light pink colour.

'I really don't need this right now. I haven't even had any time to process my feelings.' I think taking a deep breath and walking to the door. Suga's standing in the garden admiring some pink flowers.
As I get closer I recognise the flowers as Pixie Carnations.

"Do you like them." I ask smiling and his attention shifts to me.

"Yeah, I do. They're beautiful."

"I'll never forget you." I say looking down to the flowers and then back at Suga. He tilts his head and I laugh lightly.
"That's their Victorian meaning. They were my Mother's favourite, and they just happen to be one of mine too." I explain and he smiles softly at the flowers, pausing before mumbling something under his breath.
Something stops me from asking what he said and instead I start walking off to school, Suga following me afterwards.

"Nē Fujioka, can I ask you a question?" He asks softly. I nod my head encouraging him to continue. He pauses for a few seconds like he's unsure if he should ask.

"What  happened  to  your  mum." He says slowly and evenly while looking me in the eye trying to gage my reaction. I suck in a breath and my eyes go down to the ground, pursing my lips. My heart starts to ache dully in my chest.

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to." He adds quickly and I shake my head,

"It's okay Suga, I... I don't mind." I say and I take another deep breath before beginning,

"My mum, she passed away when I was little." I say quietly, fiddling with the ends of my hair.
"She got sick a little bit after Haruhi was born so it wasn't exactly sudden. We had time to... prepare, if you want to put it that way. Time to say goodbye." I say biting my lip.

"I'm sorry (y/n)." He says in the softest tone I've ever heard, it makes me smile bittersweetly.

"Thanks Suga." I say and he nods. I look to the sky and watch the clouds above us.

We walk in silence for a few minutes, simply enjoying each others company and admiring the things around us. After a while I break the stillness,

"Uh- hey, I don't know if you got my text last night but I want to say thank you again for yesterday. It was really nice of you to look after me." I say rubbing my neck.