14

As per usual, the nightmares began.

Lucy's POV (only for the nightmare):

My sword was nowhere to be seen, Nico was barely clinging to life, and I was surrounded by monsters. I tried to use my powers, but I was too weak.

One of the monsters grabbed Nico by his neck and squeezed. I felt my brother's life force diminish before it disappeared completely. I saw the Fates cut his string.

I couldn't breathe. Suddenly, I, being a whirlwind, killed every monster in sight, banishing them to the Underworld, to Tartarus, for good. As though I felt the weight of everything that had happened, I passed out.

Third Person POV:

Lucy jolted awake with a scream. Her door opened and Melissa ran in. "Is everything okay, sweetheart?"

Lucy shook her head and was pulled into Melissa's arms, but she pulled away.

Suddenly, Lucy couldn't breathe. A new set of arms embraced her and she struggled, but they didn't let go. She felt a hand on the back of her head and a familiar voice asked, "Lu. what's wrong?"

"Nic--Nico--dead--" Lucy managed.

Stiles rubbed a hand up and down her back. "It's okay, Lu."

Tears started falling as she said, "You didn't have to come."

He just shook his head. "Yes I did. Scott told me you were freaking out, and I rushed over here, as fast as I could. Are you okay now?"

Lucy looked down, still feeling the effects of the nightmare. Lucy felt short of breath, knowing an anxiety attack was coming on. "Lu, it's okay. I'm here. Nico is safe. Do me a favor and breathe with me."

He started making exaggerated breaths, and she repeated his movement. She slowly calmed down. Lucy sat at the other end of the bed, away from him, and said, "Thanks. I'm really sorry for that."

Stiles shook his head. "Don't be. I got panic attacks a lot after my mom's death."

Lucy sighed. "Anxiety attack. I barely remember my mom. She died when I was eight."

"How?"

"That, I don't remember. Um, can you do me a favor?"

"Name it."

"I, uh, I was wondering if you'd stay with me tonight. I don't want to have another nightmare about my brother dying."

Stiles smiled. "'Course I will. I'll take the floor."

At school the next morning, Lucy walked between Lydia and Allison. Allison looked over Lucy at Lydia. "You really don't remember anything?"

Lydia shook her head. "They call it a fugue state, which is basically a way of saying "We have no idea why you can't remember running through the woods naked for two days." But personally, I don't care. I lost nine pounds."

Lucy gave her a small smirk. "Are you ready for this?"

She looked at Allison. "Please. It's not like my aunt's a serial killer."

They entered the school and everyone turned to look at her, zoning in on Lydia with a cold silence. Allison offered her a smile. "Maybe it's the nine pounds."

Lucy had time before class, so she decided to head out to the lacrosse field.

Scott and Stiles were acting weird. Normally, she'd ignore it, but they were acting weirder than normal. Scott knocked a guy down and Lucy covered her mouth to keep from laughing as Coach cried, "Usually the goalie stays somewhere within the vicinity of the actual goal."