31

Stiles and Lucy had dinner plans, but Scott had texted both of them to come to the hospital as quickly as possible.

The sheriff said, "Boys, Lucy, give us a second."

Scott turned to Stiles. "These are definitely sacrifices, right?"

Stiles nodded. "Yeah. It's the one Deaton mentioned. Healers."

"What about Danny? He threw up mistletoe. That's not a coincidence, and if he hadn't been with Ethan, he probably would've died. Danny's not a healer. I..."

Stiles pointed to his dad. "Can you hear that?"

Scott turned around and listened for a moment. "They found a body."

During Chemistry, Ms. Blake walked in and Lucy groaned quietly. "Good morning. As you all know, Mr. Harris is still missing... I mean, sick. Anyway, I'm filling in while we all hope and pray for a more qualified substitute to take my place. Okay, let's get started, shall we? Miss Becenti, could you please read the first paragraph?"

"I'd rather not," Lucy deadpanned.

She sighed, knowing she wasn't going to get anywhere. "Alright, someone else, please."

Stiles, who was seated by Scott at the table in front of Lucy, glanced between them. "Hey, my dad said that the ER attending wasn't strangled, but did die from asphyxiation. They just don't know how."

Scott snuck a glance to his friend. "Do you think the on-call doctor could still be alive?"

"I don't know... But, Scott, there's got to be at least 20 other doctors in that hospital... at least, you know? Any one of them could be next."

Scott got a call and he leaned down so he could subtly answer. "Hey, doc. Sorry, I'm in class now. Can I call you back later?"

After a moment of silence, Scott said, "Doc, doc, doc, doc? What's happening?"

Scott ran off and Lucy frowned. "We need to get to the clinic. Oh, and call your dad."

He called his dad and drove them to the Animal Clinic. As soon as they arrived, they saw Scott and the sheriff in the operating room. While Stiles took his place to Scott's left, Lucy jumped on the counter. Sheriff Stilinski placed a hand on Scott's shoulder. "Alright, we're doing everything we can. Right now, the best thing you can do is go back to school."

Scott motioned for his friends to follow him silently. They walked into the Cat Clinic and Lucy crossed her arms. "What, Scott?"

He sighed and met Stiles' eyes. "We have to tell him."

Stiles jerked his head forward a little. "You mean, like, tell him tell him, or tell him something else that isn't telling him what I think you want to tell him."

"You know what I mean."

Stiles placed a hand on the cages and another on Lucy's shoulder. "You remember how your mom reacted? She didn't look you or Lu in the eyes for, like, a week."

"And she got over it, and... it actually made us closer."

Stiles continued glaring through the window. "I don't know, dude. I mean, look at him. Come on, he's completely overwhelmed as it is."

Lucy noticed Sheriff Stilinski rubbing his eyes. "Stiles, he has no idea what's going on."

Scott nodded. "He's got people dying in this town, the town that he's supposed to protect, and it's not his fault that he doesn't know what's happening. He's gonna find out sooner or later."

Stiles let out a sigh. "Yeah, but is now really the best time?"

"What if not telling him now gets someone else killed?"