Chapter 4 - Concertina Wired

Don't fall in love. Fall off a bridge instead. It hurts less. - Unknown

ENITAN

"Hey," someone said in almost a whisper.

The voice smooth and melodious, I couldn't have mistaken that voice for anyone else.

He came! My heart began to pace.

I lifted my eyes to see him at the door. He looked breath-taking in the beige shirt that complimented his brown skin and displayed his biceps. He paired the shirt with light blue jean pants that wrapped his long firm legs like a model.

I loved him so much that just seeing him stand there made my world complete. I smiled, my heart leapt in my chest I feared it would burst.

But my smile waned as I remembered the last time we met.

"Hey," I replied.

He walked up to me with elegant strides that radiated power. In few seconds he stood by my bed and gently produced a bouquet of white roses from behind, placing them on the bedside table.

"How are you Eni?" He asked.

"What do you care?" I removed my hand when he placed his on mine.

He cut me short. "I care."

"What are you even doing here? Shouldn't you be attending to important people?"

"You're important to me Eni." He said, crouching by the bed.

I turned my face away. He was no longer mine. If I avoided his face, I wouldn't be tempted to want him in my life, losing him would hurt less then.

"Hold my hands". His voice pleaded as his hands nudged my side.

"What's the point? You're just going to let me go the next minute."

"Here." He raised his hand to meet mine. "Hold me." I remained still.
"Please," he said, in a calm voice that could make the queen of England swoon.

I turned to look at him then lifted my hand from where it laid on my stomach and placed it in his hand. He squeezed it and carried it to cup his face, the stubble on his jaw now thicker than I remember. With my hand on his face and his hands firmly on my hand, he bent his head and placed it in the crook of my neck, my body became weak as jelly. He knew how to make me yield. I bent my head sideways and rested on him.

"I got you," he said after a while we stayed like that.

"No you don't."

"I got you Babe."

Babe?
He had no right. Not after everything he put me through. He had convinced me to date him but ended up throwing our two-year old relationship like it meant trash.

Tears welled up in my eyes. I needed to know more. Why he turned on me in such a short time. Why he abandoned me for three weeks only to show up now and call me Babe. So many questions ran through my head and he refused to open up.

"I got you. I'll fix this I promise." He kissed my eyes.

But my eyes fluttered open to walls and a white ceiling. It was a dream. One of those dreams that haunted me since the accident, three weeks ago. He didn't come, he was never going to. My head needed to accept that and stop dreaming. If I had thought my heart was broken earlier, it was shattered now.

 If I had thought my heart was broken earlier, it was shattered now