Chapter 9 - The lies you tell

"The love we give away is the only love we keep." - Elbert Hubbard

ENITAN

Seated in the dimly lit room next to the medicine store, I watched as the man who introduced himself as the doctor arranged some tools with an impassive look. My hands trembled as he handed me the worn-out plastic gown and entered an adjoining room I assumed was the theatre.

I stood up to change into the gown, but my legs sank back into the wooden chair - like they weighed a metric tonne. My stomach churned, and I struggled not to puke on the cement floor.

Dear God, please give me a sign if you want me to keep this child.
Had the situation been a funny one, I'd have laughed at the ludicrous prayer.

I was drawn to the pattering of footsteps as the front door slid open.

"Enitan!"

Nathan? How?

Adrenaline surging within me, I walked to the conjoining door and, before I could confirm his identity, he pulled in a hug and I buried myself further.

Oh God. You sent me a sign.

"Babe! Please tell me you haven't-" He didn't finish before I bobbled my head, too weak to speak.

Minutes after I settled in his car, I felt less nauseous, relaxed. But every statement and question of his got me riled.
I needed to get out, somewhere far away from him. But he had his own plans, refusing to let me out.

Calm down and breathe. Inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale - Argh! I hate you Nathan.

'His house' ? The nerve!

I'd only look stupid if I yelled over the deafening blast of Burna boy's 'On the low' playing from his car's sound system. So I cursed and grumbled in my head.

****
We left the bustling suburb behind. As we drove into the quiet estate of white flat-roofed duplexes, separated by short fences and black slatted steel gates, he parked in front of his apartment, unbuckled the seatbelt and turned to me.

"So," he said, shifting in his seat.

So?

He opened the door and dropped a foot out. "Are you coming along?"

Coming along? I never wanted to come here in the first place!

I folded my arms across my chest, making no attempt to exit the car. He withdrew his stretched foot into the car, cupped my jaw with his large hands, tilted my head and adjusted my gaze towards his hypnotic eyes.

Not today Nathan, don't look at me that way.

I turned away, but he held it again. This time, gently while his thumb stroked my cheek, spreading warmth to my face.

"I'm sorry, I had to bring you here. I just want us to talk and take care of this together."

I gave a throaty laugh. "Now you want to 'talk and take care of it together'? What happened to 'this is more complicated than you can understand'?" My fingers threw air quotes.

"A baby is now involved! Look, Eni- can we at least go in and get you settled in first? I have some important business to handle at 'FoxTrap'. I promise we'll talk about this when I get back."

I became agitated. Why should he mess with my emotions? He got engaged to another woman, abandoned me in the hospital only to show up three weeks later, asking for a chance. Then disappeared to start his marriage rights the following week. Now he had me sitting in front of his driveway against my will, talking about going to work when he planned to keep me away from mine.