Chapter 28-Wedding bells

"A great marriage is not when the 'perfect couple' come together. It is when an imperfect couple learn to enjoy their differences."
David Meurer

NATHAN

It must have been over an hour I stood outside in the rain before Ms. Maria gave up on trying to walk me back into her house. Enitan's was the only place I could think of going to soothe the numbness that had overtaken every part of me.

And though she took me in, I couldn't bring myself to tell her for fear of her perception changing, I was glad she didn't press further. Her arms felt too right, too perfect for me, I wanted the feeling to last forever.

I'd woken up from the couch at dawn and watched her sleep and knew for sure, my life was fucked without her. It had taken all my strength to say goodbye and leave the room, but was that not the least I could do for her-walk out of her life so she could finally live a normal one. I was going to let her be until she was having my babies, then I'd show up and be the dad my children needed.

***
Before leaving the beach house, I instructed Everest to keep an eye on Enitan to make sure she didn't attend the wedding, she didn't deserve to witness that.

I didn't know how I'd managed to drive home safely with all the emotional turmoil in my life. My thoughts were still muddled from the bombshell Ms. Maria had dropped on me, but a few pieces were starting to fit; the subtle tension that existed between Ms. Maria and my mother, also the fact that she'd taken a liking to me for no apparent reason.

It was all so confusing. But nothing was going to change the way I saw Mrs. Margaret. She'd shown me the love of a mother and more, that was all that mattered.

I arrived the penthouse in time to meet Ivan dropping off a garment bag which I assumed contained my suit. She was already dressed in a beautiful dark green off-shoulder lace gown and dramatic red ashoke gele. The diamond studded earrings and necklace that adorned her sparkled from meters away. Her make-up was heavy, especially the bright red lipstick but it was flawless. She was party ready, the only things missing were her heels and clutch, which I assumed were ditched in the car for comfort.

"You're here? I must have missed your car downstairs," I spoke in monotone as I approached the glass coffee table and dropped my car keys.

I found it hard to believe we didn't share the same mother, we were closer than Siamese twins.

"You had everyone worried. Where did you spend the night?" She squinted her eyes in a scrutinizing manner.

I cleared my voice and averted my eyes. "Thank you for the suit."

Ignoring her question, I took the garment bag from her and trudged to the master bedroom. She followed behind but I could feel her eyes boring into my back. I sat on the accent chair beside the night stand with my head in my hands.

"Wow!" She said, her eyes bulging wide in realization. "I can't believe you right now!" She chuckled and folded her arms across her chest.

"Ivan, not now." My head throbbed no matter how hard I massaged it.

"Then when!" she asked. "You spent the eve of your wedding at your ex's house! We should talk about it."

"No. I'll see you at church," I dismissed her and made for the bathroom but her small slender hands held on to my arm softly, bringing me to a halt.

"Look at you, you're miserable! Why do you still want to do this?"

I watched as her eyes burn with passion, I was impressed at her guts, flattered even. But would she give this same amount of love and concern if she knew I was only her half brother? Or would she despise me for being a result of her father's unfaithfulness?