Chapter 6 - A Dent

"Love is a fire. But whether it's going to warm your heart or burn down your house, you can never tell." - Joan Crawford

NATHAN

"Nathan?"

"Hi. Eni-" I said, out of breath.

I did not even run yet she left me breathless. She did that every time and not even her present dispirited look could alter that. Her cat eyes still bewitched me, drawing me like moth to a flame. Her 5'8" slender frame, ruler-sharp shoulders and firm ample bosoms made the oversized hospital gown look like costume for a modelling shoot. Her smooth silky skin had me fighting the urge to run my fingers over it.

I missed enveloping her in a hug, inhaling her sweet rose fragrance and tracing my hands over every edge on her. The thought sent my hormones to overdrive, but I cautioned myself as the circumstance inappropriate. But it meant the hospital bed had changed little. She remained as beautiful as the first time I saw her in our company's flourmill factory over two years ago. The memory flooded my mind like it happened yesterday.

****
As Managing director of the flourmill at the time, I'd been on inspection of newly acquired heavy-duty milling machines when I spotted her. Standing on an upper railing, her long neatly pulled back ponytail made it easy to notice her amidst the sixty-three men who worked in productions department. I became curious about what could've brought a young beautiful woman to a harsh and risky job like milling. She had such a determined and stubborn look of someone who could not be intimidated and capable of carrying out all task. She intrigued me. So I walked up to her and ordered she reported to my office after the inspection.

She came an hour later in her baggy navy blue overalls with rolled up sleeves and heavy boots that could stump the devil. I'd never seen anyone look so alluring and graceful on overalls.

Contrary to her fears of a query, I offered her a glass of the Romanée-Conti's Pinot Noir in the office and made her tell me her story till eight p.m. I watched her with my legs crossed on the desk, thumb and index finger placed under my chin in astonishment.

My heart lurched at the way she spoke with eloquence and fluidity, the way she laughed heartily at my jokes and made a few. She didn't fake it or try to impress the managing director like all the other vain girls I'd met. When other women dressed in designer wears with ridiculous body shapers underneath and outrageous heels to get my attention, she got it without even trying, - in baggy overalls and work boots. At nine p.m. I drove her to her family apartment in Yaba and before she alighted the car, I told her in plain and simple language; I was going to make her mine. I didn't care if she had someone else.

She ran out like a frightened kid on Halloween but months later, after being as stubborn as a bull, denying the feelings that rose from the romantic moments we shared and claiming I was a cold playboy, I convinced her to date me.

****

Looking at her now on the hospital bed. I realized I wanted her as much I did that first day. I'd come to honourably break up with her in hopes to protect her from my ruthless father. But now I feared selfishness clouded my reasoning, all I wanted was to keep her to myself even if it meant risking her life.

"What are you doing here?" She asked. She looked like she'd seen a ghost. I understood the reason for her question but my heart broke that it had come to this.

I remained silent as I shoved both hands in my side pockets and watched her intently. The doctor looked from me to her, his expression asked a silent question only the both of them understood. She nodded and his expression fell for a second.

He strode to me in a jiffy and I became aware of his exaggerated features. Narrow face that had a fake grin plastered over it, lashes and eyebrows too full and dark for a man, his cheekbones and jaws too sharp for his face. I wondered how he managed to breathe with a nose so small and pointed. He irked me and the confident arrogant smile on his face did nothing to help.