Chapter 29- Boarding

"Dear past, thank you for all the lessons. Dear future, I'm ready now."
Anonymous

ENITAN

Jameel pulled up outside the domestic terminal of the airport few minutes before ten.

Though it took time, Tanya had somehow managed to get Everest to take a walk down the beach. I still couldn't understand how she did it but I was so relieved to be out of the beach house-out of the Adakoles' lives and soon, out of Lagos for good. We were lucky to beat the morning traffic but I was running late for check-in and could only count on 'African time' to have a little chat with my father before boarding.

Jameel stepped out of the driver's seat, put on his dark Burberry sunshades and walked to the back of the red Toyota Camry. The light from the sun was blinding and the heat unbearable, it was hard to believe it had rained till the early mornings; Lagos weather was crazy and unpredictable like its inhabitants.

I adjusted my white tank top over yellow palazzo pants and joined Jameel at the back where he already had the trunk opened. He heaved the suitcase from the trunk and dropped it on the ground then waited for me to pick up the carry on backpack that contained my laptop, makeup and skin care products, when I was done he shut the trunk and turned to me.

"Are you ready?" He asked for maybe the tenth time this morning.

"Yup!" I replied, adjusting the multi-coloured shoulder bag and backpack over my right shoulder.

"Great, let's go." He had taken my news about moving away so well and was helping in every way that he could.

I walked behind while he pulled the trolley towards the automatic airport doors. Immediately we got into the busy ticketing hall, I rushed to the check-in desk for Jos travellers. Luckily, there were still about three people on the queue who were yet to print their boarding passes. Using the few extra minutes I had at the back of the line, I scanned the waiting area for any sign of my dad, he was a man who kept to time so I knew he had to be somewhere around.

I spotted him seating on one of the stainless steel chairs but he wasn't alone, he was sitting with my mom. My mood soiled immediate and I began to wish I'd not asked him to meet me before my flight. Three weeks ago he didn't want her around and I thought he'd finally moved on, but clearly the manipulative woman hadn't got back into his head. What did she want from me? I fumed on the line as I waited for my turn.

"Morning ma'am. Your ID card and booking reference number, please," The plump lady in a neatly ironed white shirt and blue tie asked.

"There!" I slammed the voters card and flight tickets against the counter.

"Thank you Ma'am." She gave a puzzled look then smiled politely and I felt stupid.

"I'm sorry, I'm a bit cranky today," I apologised.

"It's fine ma, trips can be nerve-wracking," she smiled politely.

No. Runaway mothers can be nerve-wracking. I corrected in my mind.

I waited as she inputted some details into her computer and printed out my boarding pass. "The Arik wing and your departure lounge is just on the first floor to your right." She pointed to the escalator to her left. "Please proceed immediately as the plane will begin boarding in twenty-five minutes."

"Thank you!"

I rushed back to Jameel who was now sitting with his AirPods on and sunshades hanging in front of his T-shirt, I tapped him on his back and he turned.

"I have only twenty-five minutes to pass through security. Got to go."

He stood up. "Whoa! Without a hug or proper goodbye?"