Chapter 14 - Consequences And Truths

And sometimes being in love is not enough to make it work.
Dominic Riccitello

NATHAN

A minute of sitting in silence passed.

"Not to seem partial to my other children, I never openly admitted you were my favourite child." He spoke out of the blue. "Soft and yet, brutal. Every time I looked at you, it was like looking at myself in a mirror, so I could never bring myself to discipline you."

Well that explains why you were less harsh to me. Gee, thanks dad.

"Even at the age of four, I knew it had to be you who'd take over the reins of Avalon from me. Your resilience and defiance amused me."

I guessed this to be one of those times I just listened and let him get to his point. So I remained silent and enjoyed the view.

"It's funny that the things that amused me back then, are the same things frustrating me now. You'd think a man would drop old behaviours and adjust- make sacrifices for family. Because that's what families do."

I remained silent.

"I'm highly disappointed in your actions earlier. I thought my message was clear enough. Should I have clipped your wings at a young age?" He asked himself and looked deep in thoughts. "Then you would have only turned out like your coward brother." His face tightened in a deep frown.

"You've been fired from the Chief executive officer's seat. The CO will make the announcement on Monday. You're expected to handover all documents to your replacement. I can't expel you from the board of directors since I gifted you those shares myself," he laughed bitterly. "But I strongly advice you sell your shares back to the family or get a director to represent you on the board."

"What?" I asked, faintly, not sure I wanted him to repeat himself - not that he would.

He stayed silent and stared at the water. My fist clenched and my legs stood up on their own accord.

"You can't make that announcement. I'll be signing the most important deal of my life at FoxTrap on Monday. Do you know how much damage that announcement would cause? They'll stall the deal, then renegotiate for an awfully lower price, worse, call it off. We've put in so much work into this project we can't afford to lose this deal."

Or Avalon. My subconscious reminded. That was my ultimate goal after all - the reason for leaving Enitan in the first place. Not his freedom or family reputation.

"Every action has a consequence," he calmly replied.

"How was I supposed to know someone would take advantage of my weak moment?"

"Men like us, can't afford to have weak moments!" He stood up briskly, eyes burning with full intensity.

"Men like us, are still just men!"

He let out a sardonic laugh. "If that is what you think, go back to your lover and be just a man. You think love is that stupid fluttering in your chest? You'll hate her when you realise you are just an ordinary man, with no Avalon Legacy. You'll hate her even more when you realise she has nothing but meals, her body and mediocre love poems to offer," he yelled and trashed his arms. "Love is power. Wanting someone who can give and share in that feeling, is love."
He moved away from the sitting area and began to match down the docks.

"What is between Enitan and I is now beyond love."

He stopped dead in his tracks.

"And what does that mean?" He turned in a swift moment, his brows furrowed. He studied my expression, in a knowing look he shook his head and whispered, "no. Tell me you didn't-"