Chapter 15 - Emotional Complications

Loving you is complicated.
- Kendrick Lamar

ENITAN

How did I end up in a room with Nathan's mum?

She plopped down the bed beside me and gently placed her soft hands on mine.

"How do you feel?"

"G-Good?" I answered, but it came out rather as a question.

"Oh. Dear. I must have you confused. I'm Nathan's mum. Call me Margaret."

I know who you are!

My heart was beating so fast and I was lost for words. What was I supposed to say?

"M-Mrs Adakole." I stuttered again. "This is-"

"Unexpected," she completed.

I was going to say uncomfortable, but that would work too.

"I get it. You're confused. You're in my guest's house. Nathan brought you here to get proper rest, after you lost consciousness. I'm sorry you had to go through all that drama with Anna. She can be a handful sometimes."

Nathan told her about the incident? Embarrassment washed over me.
"And what about Nathan?" I asked, looking down at my hands.

"He's-" she hesitated, "having a meeting with his father. He'll back in no time."

I nodded in understanding. The room became awkwardly silent and I fidgeted with my hands. Behind her smile, I knew she had something on her mind.

I bet she's thinking, 'what an opportunist'. A desperate opportunist.

"I should go. I feel better now." Feeling uneasy, I clutched my handbag and made to stand.

"Nonsense." She waved off. "Why don't you have your bath while I call for food?" she asked as she pulled me back to sit. "I'll have fresh clothes brought to you in a bit. I'd also love for you to join me downstairs when you're through."

I knew it! She had things to get off her chest.

I nodded in agreement. With that, she stood up and left the room with so much grace that intimidated me even more.

Curiosity got the best of me as I moved to the large drapes and pulled them apart, to reveal a wide sliding glass door and balcony. My jaw dropped at the view that welcomed me. I slid the door open, the windy cool air hitting me, a contrast to the mid September weather in other parts of Lagos. I breathed an unintentional sigh of relief as I stepped onto the balcony.

Not so far ahead, on the other side of a short stone barrier, the blue ocean spread endlessly. There were smaller colourful roofed houses spread around at the bottom of the steep, making the place look like a resort. For the first in a long time I smiled, a satisfying and relaxing smile. All I wanted at the moment was to walk along the shores.

I hastily got dressed in the loose-fitting midi yellow dress that Nathan's mum had brought up when I was in the bathroom, then slipped my legs into my slippers.

I rummaged my handbag in search of my phone and pulled it out to see a few messages. I quickly replied to the ones from Jameel and my sister, Tolani-and Ignoring Tanya's. Out of habit, I delved into Instagram and headed out of the room.

Something on my feed-posted by one of the blogs I followed caught my attention. I stared at my phone screen in open mouthed horror.

'Soon to be married tycoon caught kissing a mysterious woman.'

Wait! What? That's Nathan's house! And that's me, Nathan- kissing.

The video didn't show my face clearly as I had my back to the camera. But I could recognise myself any day lustfully kissing another woman's man.