Chapter 23 - Be My Mistress

"The cure for a broken heart is simple, my lady. A hot bath and a good night's sleep."
Margaret George

ENITAN

"Enitan!" Nathan roared behind me as I removed my heels and walked faster towards the emergency staircase. The elevator would've been much faster but I wouldn't dare, not after the last time.

"You'll stop walking right now and talk to me! Enitan!" He called again but I quickened my pace instead.

"Let her be!" Jameel's voice brought me to a halt. I whisked around to see both men standing, glaring at each other and then suddenly, Nathan charged towards Jameel like a bull.

Dear God! What have I done!

I sprinted towards both men, too late to stop Nathan. The only time I'd seen Nathan punch so hard-or punch anything at all was during his gym workouts. But right now, I could have mistaken Jameel's face for a gym's punching bag.

"Stop!" I cried, tugging at Nathan's hands and suit, but he continued like he'd gone deaf. "Nathan, please, stop!" I begged, completely breaking down. "Please!"

He stopped and stepped back. Pacing the breadth of the hallway, he covered his face with both palms.

I was furious. Furious that Nathan would do this. Most of all, furious that Jameel had clearly refused to defend himself, not even a finger raised.

Did he have a death wish!

I cupped Jameel's face, his dark skin starting to show darker patches. His eyes were a shadow of sadness as he looked into mine. I broke into another fit of sobs. "I'm sorry, this is all my fault. I'm so sorry," the words rolled of my tongue for what seemed to be the hundredth time.

"You and I need to talk. Get this man away from me before I completely loose it!" Nathan thundered beside us.

"No. I'm not talking to you, Nathan, not when you're in this state."

He laughed, "oh, you will!"

"I'm not leaving her alone with you, psycho!"

Nathan surged towards Jameel again and I jumped into the way.

"Fine! We'll talk!" I yelled at Nathan.

"No, he's out of his mind. I'm taking you home."

"Jameel, I don't want this to turn to a public disturbance and involve security." He looked at me, somewhat disappointed in my choice. "I'll be fine, and I'll join you shortly."

Nathan didn't wait for his permission as he grabbed my wrist and pulled me down the hallway and into the restroom.

***

"What has gotten into you!" I screamed, hitting his chest repeatedly after he let go of my wrist. "You had no right to do that to him! Or me!"

"Neither did you have the right to make that decision for me and my kids!" He spat and covered his face with palms, clearly frustrated.

"Nathan, you're unreliable. You're insensitive. You're thoughtless and have no respect for me or my feelings."

He stopped pacing, then chuckled, "does this have anything to do with Annabelle's recent tweets?"

I backed away from him and dumped my shoes and clutch on the countertop, leaning against it and folding both arms across my chest. My eyes conveyed all the answers he needed.

"Wow," he nodded and bowed his head. "That wasn't my doing, Enitan."

"Here you go again with the 'it's not my doing' crap."