Chapter 22- Run Enitan, Run.

"If all hearts were open and all desires known — as they would be if people showed their souls — how many gapings, sighings, clenched fists, knotted brows, broad grins, and red eyes should we see in the market place!"
— Thormas Hardy

ENITAN

"You really are not going to answer his calls?" Tanya asked, her eyes darting from her phone to mine that was ringing silently.

"Nope." I replied as I sprawled across the floor in the living room of her two bedroom flat, while faking attentiveness to the music channel on the flat screen TV.

She sat up straight on the rug she was laying on. "Not only did you make an irrational, illogical and reckless decision. You're not going to talk to him about it?" She demanded.

No. Not after listening to him bang the door of the beach house and try to get in. Not even after watching him from my window fall asleep in his car and angrily drive off late in the night. The fact that I'd forced Everest to drive me to Tanya's at ten pm and swear an oath of secrecy was proof enough. Nathan was sweet when he needed to be, but not this time.

"I will, when he's calm."

"He'll never be calm! You should call that Jameel guy now and tell him you've changed your mind. Have you even asked yourself what's in it for him?"

"Jameel is a selfless person. There's nothing in it for him."

"You're angry. I understand. But have you thought of the implications on your children? They'd grow up and you'll have to explain, eventually."

"For a woman in my position, I made the best decision."

"But is it fair to Nathan? How do you expect him to feel."

Oh, I hopped it ripped his heart apart. What right did he have to pause my life while his continued like a merry-go-round.

"Same way he expects me to feel about his new life—cool."

"Babe na! You're making an already difficult situation even more difficult!"

"I'm the one making things more difficult? If I wasn't pregnant for him we wouldn't even be having this discussion!"

"It's not about your pregnancy. Nathan cares for you!"

"Cares for his children! And honestly, I'm sick and tired of his obsession with this pregnancy and being just a baby vessel that he needs to monitor. Jameel is offering more and I'm not passing out on the opportunity."

"What are you saying? Even before he found out about the pregnancy, he was so worried about you that he had to place that hunky bodyguard of his at the hospital, and now he has him following you around."

"What?"

"Yes, duh! Told you it's not about the babies."

"No. Not that. The part where he had Everest at the hospital."

"Best believe it babe! That man is crazy over you."

All through my time with Nathan. I never had a need for a body guard, until now and I assumed it was because he didn't want anything happening to his babies. I didn't feel elated discovering this. Instead I felt disturbed.

I joined her in sitting, crossing my legs. "Well, Nathan is a douchebag," I said, waving my my index finger in the air. "And guess what that makes anyone who supports him?" I tilted my head and looked at Tanya knowingly.

Her mouth fell open and her eyes widened in shock. "If you weren't pregnant with my god-children right now, I'd smack you upside the head!" She slapped my legs.