The Truth

"Why me?" I ask out into the Moon that glows big and bright above me. "What do you want?"

"You need to know the truth, " The voice echoes around me. "The truth about you and the son that is to be born."

Holy shit! A SON! We are going to have a son....

A little dark and curly haired boy running through the woods barefoot fills my mind.

"What about my son?" I yell out and the ground feels softer under my bare feet and-" Hey!" I yell out as my body lifts in the air and I can't move. "What about my son?!"

"Your son," I thrash and then I am set on the ground. "Will be a ruler."

"Of course, he will be!" I growl. "He will be an alpha like me!"

"You will not be an alpha," She continues. "You will be a king." The earth under me spins and I run.

What the hell?! A fucking king? We already have a king!

"We already have a ruler!" I yell out into the night cold air. "We don't need another king!"

"I need a king to rule rightfully as I would." Her tone is calm but loud in my ears. "The King of Alphas!" A blast of wind pushes me back and I hit my head on something hard.

"You will be King of Alphas!" The voice echoes through the pain in my head. "Find the crown a true king would wear!"

"What?" I cough and shake my head feeling blood come down my nose.

"Find the true crown." Another gust of wind and I am in cold water.

"Ah!" The coldness is numbing.

Let me out! Reynold yells in my mind and I concede.

My muscles twitch and instantly bones crack and I am paddling out of the water on four legs.

Find the true crown. Reynold repeats and soon the smell of something incredibly sweet is in the air.

What fucking crown? And I don't even want to be king! What the hell is going on? I don't understand any of it. My father is not of royal blood, neither is my mother. We all come from humble beginnings.

I don't understand. It's ridiculous! I can't be a king! I don't want that I don't know how to be one.

Shut up! Reynold growls. We are meant to be king if the Moon Goddess says we are to be!

No! I ground out. We don't need to be a king!

If She says we must, we must! He retorts following the scent.

The moon above shines bright but Reynold still can't sense the crown.

Meditate. Reynold sighs and sits in a small meadow.

What?! I know I'm yelling. We don't have time for this!

When you can't see what must be found, his tone is dry. We must not look with our eyes.

Hurry up! I snap.

Shut it! He growls as my mind takes over.

Bones crack and I feel the mossy ground beneath my feet.

Begin! Reynold orders and I sit cross-legged my palms down towards the earth beneath.

A song. Seven notes. No, eight notes.

La, di, oh, ah, umm, la, doe, dum...

Birds whisper nearby and the song begins again.

La, di, oh, ah, umm, la, doe, dum...