chapter 2 (edited)

(the boy above)

Scarlet's POV

"What do you think you're doing?!"

I stared at the two men in black who were surrounding the child. His head tucked between his little hands as his entire body shook with ultimate fear.

"Hey, beautiful. Why don't you just keep moving. You don't want to get in trouble for this mere little rich kid, do you?" said one of the guys who had a massive scar on his ugly face.

"Don't you feel ashamed for bullying a child in the middle of the street?" I shouted at them as I slowly inched closer to the little boy. I pulled him behind me and my heart sank as he snuggled into my backside, shivering. With my other hand, I pulled my phone out secretly and dialed 9-1-1. Hopefully they can just see my location and listen in on the next words.

"I told you to stay out of trouble, woman. Why don't you get it?" The man with the scar shouted as he took a step towards me.

"I can't ignore the fact that two grown men are beating up a little boy!"

"We won't hurt him. Just use him. Kid must be loaded." He was almost touching me. The first thing I could think of was to defend myself the best I could until the police arrived. All of a sudden, the man stared at my hand holding the phone and his face turned red with anger. "What did you do, you b*tch?!" He grabbed my collar and the first thing that came to mind was to hit him hard.

I lifted my leg and kicked him where the sun doesn't shine. He bent down in pain as he grunted a few curses. Everything happened so fast. His companion was quick and drew out a knife. He came running at me and the boy. I threw the boy behind me and next thing I knew, pain shot through me. I always thought getting a simple flu vaccine or even donating blood was painful and scary. But the feeling I felt in my side was a thousand times worse. This was not some mere needle. It was a blade.

I fell to the ground and the little boy next to me screamed for help while the others ran away.

Slowly, everything began to drown out as all around me slowly encompassed me in darkness.

*****A Few Hours Later*****

My body felt numb and weak as all I could see was black. It was quiet around me. But a gentle warmness was holding my hand. I tried to open my eyes but it was uncannily difficult. My eyelids felt like rocks asking for more sleep. My mind was refusing, knowing deep down that it needed to take in my current situation. There was someone waiting for me ...

After some struggle, I finally opened my eyes. Looking at my surroundings I came to the conclusion that I was in a hospital room, events of my last memory flooding into my brain. I looked to the side of me and found that same young boy sleeping in a chair while holding my hand in his.

"Oh, you're awake." A nurse said as she made her way into my room.

"How long have I been out?" I asked. "What time is it?" I was sure to be soft and quiet so that I didn't disturb the little person beside me.

"It's been half a day. It's almost eleven AM. How are you feeling? Any pain?" She checked my vitals and reviewed my chart.

"I feel kind of numb." I confessed. "Is he okay?" I asked, referring to the boy. The nurse looked at the young boy and smiled.

"Yes. He's just tired, that's all. But I will admit that he's been giving us all quite a hard time. When they first brought you in, he wouldn't leave your side at all. But we don't even know his name! Hah." I smiled as I looked at him sleeping like a little baby. "Anyway, I will notify the doctor for you." The nurse left. After a couple of minutes, an older man in a white coat came in with a clipboard in his hand.