Part 3

Angel fell asleep in my arms. She was exhausted.  I still wasn't sure what to do with her. I could let her go but I doubted that she had any family to return to. And if I kept her, what then? My Father would think that he had won, that I had given in to everything I stood against. 

  "Hey, so what are we going to do with her?"  Luke asked me. As usual we were thinking the exact same thing.

"We could send her home. If she has any." I told him the same thing I was thinking. 

"But what if we find no one?" I asked knowing what he would say already.

"Then we keep her and take care of her. We can all help. We can't just dump her somewhere and expect her to survive." He said with earnest. I knew he was right. We already were running all over, on my orders, to take care of her. Never mind that the girls already loved her and Luke was already ready to protect her. Me, I was ready to kill for her. 

The real question was, how was she going to take being treated like a person?

==============================================

I walked through the door like I owned the place, hell, I did own the place. Next thing I knew I was seeing my little brothers friends running out the door talking about getting clothes for a slave. Great, just great, Father got him a slave even though he knew that Vincent detested the idea. And now I would have to listen to him complain about it for the rest of this millennium. 

I flitted up the stairs to my brothers room to find him cradling the human girl as if she were a child to be protected. 

"Wonderful, Fathers on one of his 'I'm the King' kicks again." Vincent looked up to me and nodded. 

"Hello Gabriel. How was your business trip?" He asked all to formally. He never looked at me the same since our brother died. 

"It was informative. Thank you for asking." I looked at the blonde girl in his arms.

 "So, who is she?" I asked trying not to sound to concerned about her, I had to keep my reputation as a cold heart-ed bastard. 

"Her name is Angel. And at the moment we are going to try and find her family. However, if we cannot, then we are going to take care of her." He said, looking at her with the last sentence. 

"Very well, I'll be in my office if you need anything. And don't worry about Father. He is just getting prickly in his old age." I walked out of his room and closed the door. I couldn't help but think about a time when my little brother looked up to me as if I would protect him from the horrors of life. But not since that day.

The day he found our brother, dead from a psychotic murderer. 

============================================

"Gabriel!" I heard my little brother yelling from his room. 

"Calm down Vincent. He isn't here, and never will be. Calm down." I spoke to him in a calm tone. He was the one that found our brothers body. Ever since then he had been having nightmares. And ever since then I have wanted to kill Fredric for what he did. But I could not, simply because his father was on the vampiric council and could weasel his son out of any sticky situation with a simple bending of the rules.

"He's dead Gabe. He died,  again." Vincent sobbed into my shirt, making little droplets appear on the cotton fabric. 

"Not again. It was just a dream." I rubbed his back and tried to calm him. But it was only going to work until tomorrow.

"Why didn't Father care?" Vincent asked me, still sobbing softly. He was trying to make sense of a senseless act.

"He did. You know he can't show emotion on the council. He is in command.  How would it look if he disobeyed the laws of our people?" I asked him. I knew he would never understand, but still I tried. I was the only one that cared about what happened to my now only brother. Mother had long since died of a witch curse, only I remembered the witch burning at the stake for her crime. Father didn't even show up to the execution. 

"It would at least feel as though he cared." Vincent mumbled.

I could tell he was calm now. A strange light glowed in his eyes.

"I never want to be like father. Never" Such a young vampire to be so determined. But yet I could tell this was not just a whim of a child. 

In that moment, I knew that I must become as strong and as cold as any immortal vampire.  I knew that I would be taking over as the council leader. And King some day if Father chooses.

Vincent would always be the heart, and I would be the reason. The emotionless ruler, but yet, I knew my little brother would always be right. Our father didn't even morn his own wife, let alone his son. 
-------—------------
I pulled myself from the memory of a self long since lost, and retreated to my study. 

==============================================

I cradled Angel gently as I pulled the covers of the bed back, and then laid her down in the soft mattress and covered her in the black down filled comforter.

There was just something about her that made me want to keep her safe. I couldn't understand it. 

"Sleep well, I'll only be a shout away my dear." I whispered into her ear.  And just for good measure I left a note telling her to just yell my name and I would hear her.

Closing the door to my room, I went back down stairs to tell every one else that the party was over.

Not that it had really been a party. Most of them were just merely acquaintances from the university (Yes, vampires attend school), and only knew me by name from a class.

"Thank you everyone. But I must take care of a bit of business my father has given me. I hope to see you all again soon." I lied through my fangs. I had to though, to keep Angel safe. 

After all the "good byes" and the "see you laters" I finally had just the one person I needed to help me. My one true friend. 

"So, what are we going to need to track down her folks?" Luke asked me as he closed the door on the last guest.

"I don't know. I believe my brother is working on it for me. I have yet to ask him." I walked back to the game room and flitted around cleaning up. Even vampires can leave a giant mess. 

"We just have to wait till the girls get back before we can really talk about anything." I told him, knowing it would be a while before they even thought about returning with the mountain of clothes I knew they would bring with them.