how could i live without you?

give you an idea of what el painted <33 ^^

✈︎

Nearing the end of May was also the last day of school. Everyone way beyond relieved that the school year had finally come to an end. But for El, this was only the beginning of her art career. All of her free periods were spent in the art room, spending every second on that canvas in front of her. Sometimes when Mike got the chance he would sneak into the art room to see her, sometimes she would just ignore him, and others would be so relieved to see him.

The last time Mike visited her was during second period, he said he would come back during his lunch period so he could bother her. Mike always kept his word so there was no doubt that he wouldn't do so.

The bell rang and it was now time for students to head down to the cafeteria to eat lunch. El stopped at her locker to grab her lunch before heading back down to the art room. She entered the room, high ceilings, and wooden floors. The room used to be an old woodshop classroom but got converted into an art room for reasons no one knew. El headed towards the back, behind the actual classroom where her teacher was letting her do her project without it getting destroyed.

She got her oil paints out of a small drawer and looked at her painting, it was almost done. She had to clean a few things up and add a thing or two before she was finally done. She got her paintbrushes out and then started adding details to the painting.

"Hey, Picasso." A familiar voice greeted happily. "Hi, Mike," El mumbled. Mike pulled a stool next to hers and sat down, looking at her painting. "Are you almost done with it?" He asked. "Yeah, just a few more things and then I have to write my admission essay and then I'm all the way done."

"Want me to help you with the essay tonight? I don't have any homework or tests to study for, and you kinda suck at essays." El rolled her eyes, "Yes, you can help me with it." Mike smiled and leaned his back on the table behind him.

He watched as she put final details and finishing touches onto the canvas filled with colors. After a few more minutes El finally put down her paintbrush and looked at the painting once again. Mike thought she might be having a staring contest with it until she put her hands together and then turned her head to grin at Mike. He raised his eyebrows, waiting for her to say something.

"It's done!" After weeks and weeks spent in that room, hour on end spent on sitting on that stool, her hand hurting from holding the brush so long, she was finally done. Mike stood up and pulled her into his arms, "I'm so proud of you," He said before kissing the top of her head. El smiled into his shirt and wrapped her arms around his torso. "Even if you don't make it." He added teasingly.

El stepped out of his embrace and hit his arm playfully, "Shut up! You can't say stuff like that to me!" Mike put his hands up in surrender, "I'm sorry! You know I'm just joking, you're going to make it." El smiled at him before turning back to her painting.

"It feels like my child." She said after a moment. "Your child?" Mike repeated, "Yeah, I mean, I've spent hours and days and weeks with it and then I have to send it off to Italy once we finish my essay, and I'll probably never see it again." She sighed. Mike frowned, after her explanation he did somewhat understand what she was trying to say.

"Maybe they'll put it up in the museums and then you'll be able to see it," Mike said nudging her arm playfully. El giggled and looked back at it, "Maybe."

✈︎

The school day was now over and El left the painting at the school overnight so it could finish drying properly. Mike drove her to her house and when they arrived they took their backpacks out of the back seat of Mike's car and walked inside the small house. El kicked off her shoes as soon as she walked in the door and sighed, "I'm so ready for school to be over."