in the light

Song: In The Light by The Lumineers
(keep it on repeat y'all)

✈︎

El had always admired views. Whether it was looking at the sky, looking at paintings or pictures, or cities.. she loved it all. But her favorite view, was probably Mike. Yeah, maybe it was a bit weird but that didn't matter to El. If she wanted to admire her best friend, then she would. After all she's caught Mike staring at her, so why shouldn't she be able to do the same?

He was just so.. ethereal. It seemed impossible that he was even real, and that she was lucky enough to have him as her best friend. She was almost jealous of him. Mike was beautiful in his own way. Some people might think freckles are an imperfection, but El loved his. They weren't too bold, but just light enough to where they completed his face.

El of all people knew that Mike had never dated anyone, but it was always a mystery to her. He never really explained it whenever she asked, but she was curious. With his looks, he could have anyone he wanted. So why didn't he? El could name multiple girls who would die to be with him, so why didn't he want any of them? But that thought soon disintegrated from her mind when she realized she didn't want him to be with anyone but her.

He was the only person she wanted to be with, and she was the only person he wanted to be with.

El had only been awake for a little while and while she was awake she just wanted to spend some time thinking, almost as he had the morning before, but she wanted to spend some time here before she had to leave for class. Yes, sadly the weekend was over and she and Sofia would have to return to class. Luckily it was only 1 class and it was only an hour and a half long, so Mike wouldn't have to be home alone for too long.

Mike sleeping has been one of El's favorite things to see for almost as long as she could remember. She's always loved the peace it brought to her. There was just something about it that she always adored, but there wasn't one specific thing. Among many things, his constellation of freckles were her favorite. She could trace patterns along the small dots for hours and never get tired of it. She also has learned to fall in love with his butterfly-like eyelashes. To anyone else they would just be eyelashes, but to El they are so much more.

When he opened his eyes, his eyelashes fluttered and moved quickly just like butterflies. His eyes were something she also loved, maybe she loved them more than anything else because El knew that eyes are the windows into the soul. At first glance they were brown eyes, dark and simple, but no, his eyes were dark and captivating. It drove her crazy.

When he looked at her and she looked into his eyes, she almost couldn't believe how much of his soul he was revealing. El doesn't know how long she's felt like this about just one simple feature on his face, but she knows that she will never get over it. Not even when they're old and gray, he will still have beautiful eyes and El will still be in love with him the way she is now, if not more.

But maybe she shouldn't think about the future now, and instead the past. Did she still feel as crazy about him when they were younger? She couldn't help but remember their very first sleepover.

After they had spent the whole evening watching movies, playing games and laughing so much their stomachs hurt, the two kids were exhausted and ready to go to sleep.

They changed into their pajamas and hopped on El's bed. "Am I allowed to sleep up here?" Mike whispered. Even after a year of being friends with El, he was still terrified of her dad.

She shrugged, "Why wouldn't you?"

"I don't know.. wouldn't your dad get mad?"

"No silly, why would he be mad?" She questioned.