never a dull moment

✈︎

El was leaving in a matter of days and the more Mike thought about it, the more sick to his stomach he got. He could barely go a day without her, what would weeks and months be like? God, he didn't even want to think about it.

But he wasn't going to let this take advantage of the little time left that they had together. He had a day planned for them today, they could do one of El's favorite things. Shopping. And he knew she wouldn't dare to decline that offer.

So, Mike made his way over to her house. He didn't spend the night the day before because he figured El and her dad would have a lot to talk about. He really did want to stay over but he knew it was best not to, but tonight there was nothing stopping him. He wasn't going to let go of her just yet.

Mike pulled into her driveway and got out of the car, as he went up to the front door, before he could knock the door opened and El ran right into his arms. "Hello to you too," Mike chuckled as he hugged her back tightly. "I was very lonely last night. You could have come in later, you know." El says with a pout.

"Yeah yeah, I'm sorry. It was hard for me too. But like you said, we're going to have to get used to not being with each other every night." Mike mumbles. "I don't want to get used to it though."

"me either but it's either that or you don't go to Italy."

"You could come with me!" El suggests hopefully, "and what am I going to do all day? Wait for you to come back late at night and all grumpy?"

"I'm sure you could figure something out, a-and I'm sure they have a writing thing there, or a physics class!" El sniffles, she hadn't thought about this yesterday, for she was too excited about getting the letter. "I'm sorry, Picasso but I would probably have to sign up and I'm sure it's too late now."

El frowned and pressed her forehead on his chest, now she didn't want to go, but Mike could read her thoughts better than anyone else. "Don't cancel your whole future because you'll miss me too much. I'll visit as much as I can, you know I have the money saved so I could buy plane tickets so I'll try to come every few weeks."

"Every few weeks?!"

"El, I don't have enough money to come every week. It's like a hundred dollars a ticket, so what do you want me to do?" Mike asked, he knew that wasn't what she wanted to hear but it was the cold hard truth, and they both needed to get used to it. Though they probably never would.

El shook her head and shrugged, "can we just lay down for a little bit? I didn't sleep much.." El asked. "Sure, come on." Mike held onto her hand as she walked sluggishly over to her room, where the bed was still unmade and her pillows were scattered across her sheets. As they entered her room El ran forward and jumped on her bed while Mike just smiled at her, he was going to miss her adorable smile, her laugh, her face, just everything about her he would miss.

Mike kicked off his shoes and jumped on the queen sized bed right next to her. They got under the warm duvet and faced each other, El smiled at him before scooting closer to him and cuddling up next to him like she always did.

"I was thinking we could go to the new thrift stores in town later and mess around there, sound good?" He asked, El nodded but barely heard him before she drifted off into a deep sleep. Mike never did fall asleep, he simply watched over her. He watched how her soft exhales would blow this one piece of hair in her face up and down with every breath, or how she would mumble things and then unconsciously scoot closer to him. Mike could look at her all day and never get tired of it, though he practically did that already.

Only after about a half an hour El woke up with a big yawn. "Finally up, sleepy head?" Mike asked from next to her. "Why yes I am." She replied while stretching her arms above her head and then rolling back next to Mike. "Dream about me?" He teased, "Always, honey pie," El teased back making Mike chuckle.