you and me

✈︎

When he opens his eyes, all he sees is black. Pitch black, as if he'd closed his eyes.

But his eyes were open, yet he couldn't see a thing. It's cold wherever he is, a weird shivering sensation is crawling throughout his body and Mike doesn't like it one bit.

He's all too aware what will most likely happen now. He knows he's dreaming and he knew who will be the center of his dream- the girl who was always the center of his mind. His thoughts always orbiting around her like the Earth revolves around the sun.

As much as he can't see anything, he walks forward. Maybe he will see something up ahead, but everything around him is dead silent. All he can hear is his footsteps in the shallow water below him. Finally, he decides to speak up.

"Hello? El?" He calls out, his voice echoing around him, bringing him no sense of comfort at all. But then he hears something... almost like a ticking noise. Like a timer. Like the one his mother uses when she bakes cookies.

He furrowed his eyebrows and looked around, still seeing absolutely nothing. Then suddenly, as if he wasn't walking where he was going, he suddenly dropped. He was pulled straight down into the water he was once walking in.

Luckily he had sucked in a breath just as he was going down because now it feels like he's held underwater, and now there is no escape. But his eyes are open and he finally sees her.

She is sitting, tied to a chair facing him. The ticking sound only gets louder as he tries swimming towards her. But his efforts remain useless and he seems to be stuck in place. The harder he tries to swim towards her, the farther away she gets and the louder the ticking becomes.

She's staring at him with cold eyes. Her mouth was moving, as if she's saying something to him but he can't hear as he frantically tries to get to her.

Why isn't he moving?! The ticking only builds more anticipation inside of him and he needs to get to her now, afraid of what would happen when the ticking stops. It gets louder and louder, and faster and faster.

Mike has never been a very strong swimmer, but he knows this has nothing to do with that. He's using every muscle in his body but he can't get any closer to her. But El remains still as her eyes stare daggers into his. He never breaks eye contact with her, afraid of what would happen to her if he looked away.

He feels like he can't even continue he's so tired, and his lungs are just about to burst as he can't hold his breath any longer. But he needs to get to her, but he doesn't know how he can get to her.

He wants to talk to her, to tell her that he's trying to get to her. But the ticking gets so fast that it just seems like one loud blare in his ears. But he can't hold his breath any longer, so he lets out a breath and everything happens at once.

First, the ticking stops. Next, his body freezes and he no longer feels the need to struggle, so he stops. Lastly, everything becomes silent again but there her voice cuts through the silence like a knife as she only utters 2 words.

"Don't wait."

And just like that he's snapped back into reality. He sits up in bed and gasps for the air that he lacked in his dream. He then notices how incredibly sweaty he is. Mike cringed and got out of bed, quickly checking his clock which read 2:53 AM.

Now ignoring his clothes that are sticking to his body, he needs to call El. Mike knows she's awake, as it would be around 8 and she's probably up making breakfast for everyone. Mike quietly opens his door and walks downstairs, careful not to wake anyone.