nightmares

✈︎

Mike woke up in a familiar room. It was El's room. The suitcases were no longer by her closet door, her closet was empty, her room was bare. The walls were too bare, none of the usual pictures and posters, just white walls. He sat up in the bed, her comfortable blankets weren't there, just the mattress.

"Mike!" He heard someone calling to him. He couldn't put his finger on who was speaking, or where it was coming from. It was like a whisper inside of his brain, suddenly pulling him out of her bed. His feet were moving on their own, taking him out of her bare room.

Where was El? He thought as his feet walked through the now empty house. Everything in her home was gone. The furniture, the pictures on the walls, decoration, everything was gone.

"El?" He called out, only for his words to echo through the empty house. Where was she?!

"Mike! Come outside!" The voice whispered, he followed the command and walked out of the house. Instead of seeing her neighborhood, it looked like a blank canvas. Everything white, no color anywhere. Everything was in black and white.

The houses, trees, flowers, streets, everything lacked its usual color. Mike looked around, still no sign of El.

"El, where are you? This isn't funny." He called out, his voice echoing through the colorless world. "Mike, come on! I'm over here, I'm waiting." Now he knew who the voice was. It was El, but where was it coming from?

"Where is over here?" He called out as he began to walk forward. "Thompsons Bridge!" That was a bridge that connected downtown Hawkins and El's neighborhood. It wasn't far and he knew the way. He walked towards where the bridge was.

As he got closer to the bridge and it was now in his view, the color in the world slowly started to fade back. But barely. The world still lacked the color, now only with natural colors.

That's weird. Mike thought as he got to the bridge. On the other side of the bridge stood El, in her favorite pair of jeans and her favorite sweater. "There you are! It's about time you found me!" She laughed.

But his feet refused to move as they stuck to the ground in front of the bridge. "Well come on, aren't you going to cross the bridge?"

On the other side of the bridge everything was in color, whereas his side was black, white, green, and brown. He wanted to cross the bridge, he wanted to be on the colorful side with El.

But he couldn't.

El frowned, "Why won't you come over here?" She asked impatiently. "I-I want to! I can't move. Can't you just come to this side?"

El shrugged, "Sure." She took a few steps out onto the bridge and began walking towards him. Then he saw something.

The stabilizers of the bridge began shaking and the bridge started to shake. "El turn back! It's not safe!" He called out. "It's fine, Mike. I'll make it across."

No, she wouldn't. "No! Turn around! I'm not asking you, I'm telling you! Turn around!" He yelled as the bridge continuously shook. El shook her head, "I'll be fine."

She made it to the middle of the bridge and if he could, Mike would go right to her and get her off of there. But his feet were stuck to the ground. He couldn't do anything but pray she'd make it across.

Then, just as she passed the middle of the bridge, it snapped in half and crashed down to the harsh river below, El going straight down with it.

"El!" He screamed, the only piece of the bridge remaining was the only part she didn't get to. He watched as the destroyed bridge flowed down the river, El somewhere in there.