you are the stars

Song: Just what I Needed by the Cars

TIME SKIP TO THIS WEEKEND.

✈︎

The day is finally here. Mike is going to Italy to see El.

He could barely sleep the day before. Tossing and turning, checking the time every few minutes. But he got about an hour of sleep until he had to wake up around 4.

Yes, Mike picked the earliest possible flight. He just needed to see her. The restless nights, spent with tears rolling down his cheeks. The phone calls, none of the topics of conversations having anything happy in them. He couldn't wait to just hug her again.

To see her face again. She'll be even more beautiful now that she's let the hot sun tan her cheeks. He remembered that in the summertime when she's outside a lot, small brown freckles will paint themselves on her cheeks, spreading over her nose and her whole face.

Mike loves summer even more because of that.

He had his bags all ready to go by the front door, his mother knowing he would be gone by the time she woke up. Mike got ready, dressing quickly and making sure he had everything before he headed out the door and got in his car.

Today was the first time he would smile in days.

He double checked everything before he set off to the airport for his 5:15 flight. He smiled the whole way there, thinking about her and only her. Only El was able to make him act (and feel) like that.

When he finally arrived at the airport we went through all of the security, baggage check, more security, and finally he could board his plane. It was going to be a long flight, but he was willing to sit there for hours next to some random stranger as long as it got him to El.

He put his carry-ons into the overhead storage and sat down next to the window. He pulled out his walkman and put in his cassette tape that he would listen to when he was thinking about El. It was funny, he thought, that you can make a song seem like anything you want. It can be about whoever you want.

After some time and the flight attendants went over safety procedures, the plane was finally surging forward and then lifting off the ground. After 6 excruciating days without her, he was finally going home.

✈︎

El woke up early, she wasn't going to be late when Mike arrived to Italy. She jumped on Sofia's bed, shaking her awake. "Get up, get up!"

"W-what?" Sofia asked groggily. "We have to get to the airport!"

"What time is it?"

"Like.. 7."

"Elll his plane doesn't land for like another 3 hours!" Sofia whined, shoving her face back into her pillow. "I know but I wanted to get there early.."

"But El! Sleep!"

"Please, Sofia? Please?" El begged, giving the blond her best puppy eyes she could do. "we could look around at all the shops in the airport? And we can get a cinnamon roll!"

El was very tempting with her offers, Sofia couldn't say no when she mentioned a cinnamon roll. "Fine."

"Yes!" El said, jumping on Sofia and hugging her tightly. "Alright, alright. Dammi un po' di spazio, Gesù.."

El unraveled herself from the blond and went over to sit on her own bed. Sofia changed into a sweater and some jeans, the airport was always cold, and she wasn't going to freeze her ass off. She noticed El was wearing a plain t-shirt and jeans.