Jobs

It's December 19th, 1972. It's 8:42 in the morning. Yesterday Janet got really mad at me for sleeping over at Tim's place. She shouldn't be so worried about me. I'm a grown woman and I can do what I want. I didn't tell her that though. She was so mad she probably would have kicked me out of the house if I said that to her.

I get out of bed and go downstairs. I go to the kitchen, I'm not that hungry so I'll probably just have a banana. Janet was sitting there drinking tea and reading the newspaper. I sit down at one of the seats and eat my banana.
"Is that all you're eating?" Janet asks. I nod my head yes while I take another bite of the banana. Annie walks into the kitchen and starts to make herself a cup of tea. "I was going to wait until you all were awake but Jolene won't wake up until noon so I suppose I'll tell you now" She lowers her glasses so they're on the tip of her nose and she glared and Annie and I. "I want all of you to go looking for a job. I'm not a babysitter you know" Janet says before she take another sip of her tea. "How are we supposed to find jobs?" Annie asks. "I don't know nor do I care" Janet flips the page of the newspaper to look at the comics. Don't you love it when you time travel back to 1972 and have to find a job when all you want to do is go home and sleep. "Janet, when does the mall open?" I say as I throw out my banana peel. She adjusts her glasses. "10, I believe" I nod my head and run upstairs to get ready.

Once I get up the stairs I see Jo finally come out of her room. She looks like shit, her hair is all over the place and she looks like she doesn't want to be here. Neither do I to be honest. I put on a brown turtleneck with jeans. I don't want to get dressed up since I really don't care how I look. It's not like I'm going to see anyone special.

I go down to the foyer and wait for Annie and Jo. 10 minutes later they're finally done. We put on our coats and boots and head out the door. We start to walk to the tube. "I can't believe she expects us to get jobs when we don't even have a resume" Says Annie. Neither Jo nor I responded. I think we were in our own little worlds at the moment. Probably trying to think of a place that would hire us. I'll check out the record store. I'll use my charm to get a job. Though I highly doubt that would work, my charm is practically nonexistent. The best I could do is not freeze up and end up just staring at the floor.

We get to the tube and ride to the mall. We get off the tube and about 2 blocks from the station is the mall. I look around and see all the shops. There's a café and a butcher shop among many other shops. The architecture really shows the time period. The signs all have way different fonts than now. It's so weird to see the city like this, nowadays everything is gentrified and torn down. Usually, when I walk I like to look at my feet. My mother always yelled at me saying 'You're going to run into a lamppost if you do that!' She's right. But I never stopped doing it. I don't exactly know why I do it. I just do.

We get to the mall and just like before it's all lit up with Christmas lights and a big Christmas tree. Once we step in it's so warm and comforting. I undo my coat a bit. "I'm gonna go walk around" Jo says as she wanders off. Annie follows. Maybe Annie thinks Jo is going to get into trouble. I walk to the record store. The shops here are nice. I like the food court the most. I believe there's a movie theatre here. I wonder what's playing. It's be pretty cool to watch an old movie on the big screen. I start to see the record store and notice it's opened. Perfect, step one is complete, to make sure it's not closed. I walk into the store and get that cigarettes and booze smell. I neither like it nor hate it. I probably like it more than I hate it. Before I can look around to see who's here I hear a booming voice coming from the back room. "WHO TOOK MY BLOODY CRISPS!" The back door slams open and a man comes out. It's Richard. He doesn't know I'm there yet. He goes up to a man who's behind the counter and starts talking to him. Richard doesn't look very happy. The man throws his hands up in the air and shoos Richard away. Richard then starts to leave but he sees me. He runs up to me. "Ah! Y/n, what are you doing here?" Richard has a smile. It's like he's acting as if he didn't yell about his crisps a minute ago. "I was looking for a job" I said shyly. His eyes brighten. "A job? Well you came to the right place! Don here will surely give you a job. For minimum wage of course" I nod my head. "Sounds good to me"