28. Practice

The next day you straight went to the hall as you finished your morning routine. You wanted to check on your schedule for the evening as you have forgotten to do it the day before. You walked up to one of the unoccupied computers, entered your login information and opened the main page. It showed you all the dates in a calendar-like manner. As you clicked on the current date, you saw all the Shadowhunters' names who were supposed to be on patrol for that day. Scrolling down your name appeared at the 8pm row alone with a fellow Shadowhunter called Blake. You have felt a strange relief, that you didn't have to go out alone. It was not like it bothered you in the first place, as you have gone out not once alone. However after your conversation with Alec and Izzy, you did feel alert. 

Blake wasn't someone you got paired up with often. You were both in separate teams and except one or two occasions, you didn't talk talk to him much, other than 'Morning' or 'Are you alright?'. He was a very good fighter and a smart men, who was about your age. At least that is what you knew of him while working together. 

After your findings, you decided to head towards the training room. Until night patrol, you had nothing to do. You wanted to exercise a bit and prepare for the night. 

When you entered the training room, you have found your parabatai already exercising. 

"Morning Sunshine." You chuckled, greeting her. She turned around and a happy smile appeared on her face too. 

"Someone is in a good mood." She said looking at you. 

"Not necessarily. It's just a normal day." You replied, while sitting down to stretch. "Did you speak to Alec?" You turned towards her. You were leaning forward to your straightened legs to stretch your hamstring muscles. 

"I did, but I got nothing from him." She shook her head. "I tried to ask him in so many different ways, and after beating around the bush I straight up questioned him. He said he is worried about you, because apparently that vampire told him something. But then he was very sleepy and the medicines started kicking in, so he told me, he would explain later." She said. You started thinking about what he could have been told, but you couldn't get a single idea out of that useless little head of yours.

"Well, tonight I will be on patrol, so I guess I will miss that, but when I come back on the morning, just tell me everything he has told you." You asked and she nodded. "By the way, you don't have to worry about me." You started and she looked up waiting for you to continue. "I checked the rota and I am not going out alone. Blake, the guy who came with us to the continuous demon attacks at the East River, will be my partner." You explained. 

"Good. I'm glad." She smiled gently. "With all the things going on, I really didn't understand why Hodge would let anyone go out alone. It's almost like committing suicide." She shook her head disagreeing with the decision.

"To be honest, he knows what he is doing. He wouldn't have put me alone anyway, if he though it was dangerous in the first place." You didn't agree with your parabatai as you had more faith in your instructors. 

"I know, I know." She sighed. "I might just be overreacting."

"I just told you yesterday. You are worse than my mother." You laughed as she punched you on your shoulder. 

"Get up." She demanded after jumping up. "I will fight you." She stood in position. You laughed at her attempt and walked to the middle of the training room.

"Come at me then." You chuckled as she ran towards you with a wooden log. She almost hit you when you dodged the stick. "I thought you could do better than that." You teased, while she started another attack. You dodged once more. You ran to the cupboard and quickly took out the same type of weapon your parabatai was using. This time you decided to go for it. 

"I thought you would just stand there like a statue." She laughed.

"Clearly you couldn't even hit the statue. Shame." You embarrassed her and you could clearly see on her face, that there was a sudden determination on it. 

"Oh you little

"Oh you little..." She started, but didn't finish the sentence. Rather she launched forward and jumped up to attack you from above. However you slid to the right before she could have landed.

"You need to speed up a bit, my dear parabatai." You gestured with the wooden stick in your hand. "I would expect more from you." You teased.

"Stop talking and start fighting." She demanded, but you just couldn't take her seriously. 

"Someone is not in a good mood." You provoked her.

"Well, someone else will not be in one either, as soon as I kick her ass." She replied. Feisty, you thought. 

"Instead of talking, you could maybe attack. I will fall asleep here." You grinned at her, wiggling your eyebrows. 

"Aren't you a bit too cocky?" She asked, when she started an attack against you. She went down this time to try to target your legs, and knock you off balance, but once again she failed as you jumped up. However this time you didn't leave without a counterattack. You pulled her legs out of her squatting position and she fell on her back, legs pulled up to her stomach, looking almost like a...

"Turtle!" You laughed, pointing at her posture on the ground. She just huffed annoyed.

"You think it's funny?" She tried to get up, but you pushed her back on the floor with the end your stick.

"Honestly? I am having a blast." You replied with an ear to ear smile spreading across your face. 

"I'm glad you enjoy this

"I'm glad you enjoy this." She sulked, her lips pouting. You offered your hand to help her up, and to your surprise, she accepted it. Unfortunately, you couldn't hold back a bit of prank and as soon as she was about to stand up, you let her go. She fell back into the same awkward position. "Y/N!" She shouted your name angry, but you just couldn't stop laughing. You found the situation way too funny. 

"Sorry. Sorry." You replied, still holding onto your painfully contracting stomach. "I just couldn't miss such an opportunity." 

"Yeah, right. With you as my parabatai, I don't even need enemies." She stated, while standing up, this time without your help. She walked up to you and grabbed your head, pulling it under her armpit to ruffle your hair. You looked up at her looking like someone who just head a rough night.

"Was that necessary?" You asked with the same smile you have been keeping for the last couple of minutes. 

"How did you say?" She started thinking. "I just couldn't miss such an opportunity." You laughed at her reaction as she let go of you. 

"I guess I deserved that." You chuckled and she heavily nodded in agreement. 

"You did." She punched your shoulder jokingly while collecting all of her cloths and equipments. You did the same as you followed her to the hall, to then return to your rooms.