Chapter 23 | Blood Traitors and Mudbloods

(I'm so sorry for another Cliffhanger I'm just a sadist, sorry.)

     If there was one thing that everyone knew about Quidditch it was this: it was dangerous. Wizards dying on the field wasn't unheard of. Games could go on for days in the big leagues as the players starved on their brooms. Beaters were one of the most dangerous positions to play, having to deal with the bludgers constantly throughout the game. You supposed that Sirius's arrogant air managed to distract  you from all of that. 

     Until now.

     149 pounds of solid iron hit the front side of Sirius' broom, wood splintering and hurling towards the crowd. 

       Remus leaped to his feet from where he sat, joining you and Lily leaning over the railing. Your heart was in your chest, hammering away to the point you thought your ribcage was about to crack open.

      It seemed not even the near bone breaking incident was enough to deter Sirius, his grip on his broom making his knuckles white as he fought for control over the broken thing, too stubborn for his own good.

      "Remus?" You found yourself asking for the opinion of the dirty blond next to you.

       "He's being stupid, but that wouldn't be the first time," he spared a glance your way before shooting you a lopsided grin, "he'll be fine though--"

      "Oi! Padfoot--" James was shouting. It wasn't his usual cocky, confident shout, no, it was filled with fear. And if there was one thing one did not hear in Potter's voice, it was fear. "That Bludger's a rogue!" 

       True to his word, you watched the black ball pulled a u-turn to finish the job. The game didn't stop as Sirius managed to barely duck beneath it, a string of curses leaving his lips. 

      "A rogue--?"

      "Someone tampered with the Bludger to chase after Sirius," Remus explained. He swallowed thickly. "That's...not good." 

     "They're not going to stop the game?" Lily asked.

     "What for?" Remus replied, "It's Quidditch."

     "And Quidditch is dangerous, yeah we know," Lily hissed. 

     "Someone messed with it to target Sirius?" You questioned. Your grip on the railing tightened, anger boiling up inside of you. "Someone wanted this to happen?"

     "(Y/n)--," Remus cut himself off with the glare you threw his way. "If you're going to do something stupid at least bring us with you."

     "I--,"

      The crowd gasped, and you heard the crack before you saw Sirius flying from his broom, scream caught in your throat as you fumbled for your wand in your pocket. Time seemed to slow as James raced to catch his best friend, tunnel vision setting in as a bout of nausea hit you like a tidal wave. Your wand. You couldn't find your wand.

      The crowd went silent when Sirius hit the ground.

      "Merlin's Beard--," Remus could barely breathe the words out before you were already racing out of the stands, Lily close behind you. Your legs felt heavy. Everything was going too slow for you liking, even as you were leaping over the last three steps of every flight of stairs. Remus yelled out your names, nearly slipping on his robes in an attempt to keep up. 

     Screams. All you could hear were the screams of the crowd. They were everywhere, scratching against your brain like the splinters in the wooden railing. You felt hot.

    Fear? Anger? Panic?

    "I hate wizard sports. Psychopaths, are they psychopaths? They must be bloody psychopaths!" You ranted. By the time you all managed to reach the bottom of the stands Madame Pomfrey was already dealing with a barely coherent Sirius Black. He was sweating, skin even more pale than usual.

    "Sirius--," your voice faltered, a dopey grin falling on the boy's face as he looked at you.

    "(Y/n)!" He went to sit up, immediately falling back down again. You kneeled by his side, hand going to grab his. 

     "You're a right idiot, you know that?" You hissed. Sirius' grin fell, brows furrowing. God, could you not be an asshole for one moment, (Y/n)?  Your thoughts halted as his hand went for your cheek. 

     "Hey..." He mumbled. His thumb wiped away a tear.

     You were crying.

     "I'm okay! See, good as--," his grey eyes clouded in confusion as he tried to find the saying, "good, I'm good!" He slurred. You managed to huff a laugh.

     "Drugged, is what you are," you laughed. You wiped his hair off his forehead.

     "At least he's alive," Remus managed to huff from behind you, keeled over in an attempt to catch his breath. 

     "Real high bar you have there, Rem. Real high," Lily sighed. 

    "Alright, I need you all to shoo," Pomfrey spoke. "Leave the lad alone."

     "But--," you went to argue but were quickly quieted by her glare. It softened for a moment before she shook her head.

     "You can visit him later, Ms. (L/n). For now I suggest you enjoy the rest of the game."

    Yeah, right. How were you supposed to enjoy any of this while Sirius was half out of his mind with pain and slow to work pain-killers? "Fine," you found yourself speaking before you could think it through.

     "Come on, let's go for a walk," Lily insisted, arm wrapping around yours. You were slow to get to your feet, dragging them the whole way away from the field. 

     "Wait," you stopped in your tracks, hands fumbling all over your robes. No...no, where was it?"

     "What?" Lily tilted her head. This can't be right. You thought you just couldn't find it earlier, not that it was actually gone.

     "My wand-- I can't find my wand."