Chapter 1

Into the well

Chapter 1:
"Canary, go get your sister for dinner!" Yelled my dad. I got out of my bed and went to my window to call my sister from the backyard. She was weaving flowers into her hair.
"Robin! Time for dinner!" I yell. Robin drops flowers and runs to the door. When I get downstairs, my dad and sister are already at the table. Chicken soup. I pull my long dark hair back and eat. Slurping the golden soup. We lived in a small log cabin out in the woods with only ten others neighbors. Only four out of ten of them have children. We don't hang out with each other though. While we were eating, someone knocked on the door. I start to get up to get the door, my dad stops me.
"You should stay here."
"But I want to see who it is." I say back.
"Just wait." He says Impatiently. I listen. But when my dad goes outside, Robin and I crack the window open a bit to listen. My dad and two others were there. They were circled around two men in dark brown petty coats. I could tell the two other people had kids.
"I think you guys know what you are here for." Started the shorter man.
"For the last time, we don't have the money yet!" Said a short woman. She had dirty blond hair.
"That's what you said two months ago!" Said the taller man in the brown petty coat.
"You know we don't make a lot of money." Said the man standing next to my dad. He had black hair. And also very tall.
"We want that five hundred thousand dollars by tomorrow afternoon! No questions asked." Said the short man in the brown coat.
"But..." Started my dad.
"No questions asked! And if we don't get paid, something terrible will happen to you. And you will regret that you didn't pay us!" After that, the men walked away.
"What's going on?" Asked Robin.
"I don't know." I say. When we see my dad coming, we run back to the kitchen table. He slumps onto the chair.
"Who was it?" I ask.
"Don't worry about it." Says my dad with a weak smile. "Now wash your bowls and go to bed." I listen. That night, Robin got scared. It was too much for a seven year old. So I let her sleep with me in my bed. The whole night, I was wondering what would happen. What the men were talking about.