Birthday: Chapter 2

"...I just don't understand. Why is everyone being so distant?" Face grins nervously as Amber asks.

"Well, Hannibal's got a new mission in mind, and it's a pretty big deal." Face says.

"What is the mission?" Amber asks. Face nervously rubs his neck.

"Well...Hannibal, he...he told us not to let you in on anything yet." Face replies.

"I'm perfectly capable of handling myself." Amber retorts, crossing her arms.

"Yes, I know that, but you know how Hannibal is." Face says, going with it.

"You're right. Thanks, Face." Amber smiles.

"Anytime, Gem." Face nods. Suddenly, two men in black masks burst into the apartment.

"Put your hands up." One shouts, aiming a gun at the two in the room.

"What is going on?" Face demands, putting his hands up. The other darts forward and pulls Amber to him.

"Leave her alone!" Face shouts, jumping forward. The first man hits Face over the head with his gun and the man falls.

"Face!" Amber screams.

"Blindfold her and let's go." A blindfold is yanked over Amber's eyes and she's dragged away.

"Let me go!" She screams. Determined not to go down without a fight, she starts kicking. "Face!" Amber freezes as cold metal presses into the back of her head.

"If you know what's good for you, you'll stop that." The first man growls. Amber quietly complies and she's led away. Though she can't see anything, Amber could tell they had reached outside. The man holding onto her shoves her forward and she trips, landing into a carpeted floor she realizes is the back of a van. The van starts off quickly and she falls onto her side.

"Don't even think about taking your blindfold off." The man says. "If you so much as touch it..." Amber shivers as she hears a gun cock. She curls up into a ball, pressing against the side of the van. After a few minutes of driving, Amber is roughly yanked out of the car and pushed forward. The light behind the blindfold darkens as she walks.

"Stop and stand here." The man orders. Amber obeys, keeping her hands at her side. Her blindfold is ripped off and a bright light flickers on, blinding Amber momentarily. What she sees next terrifies and excites her.

"Surprise! Happy birthday!" Hannibal, Murdock, B.A., and Face shout all at once.

"Guys, what the heck?" Amber immediately gets mad and punches the closest person to her, which was B.A., not that it hurt him at all. "Why would you fake kidnap me?" She demands.

"There was no other way to keep you from finding out." Hannibal says.

"I told you Hannibal had a big mission in mind." Face smirks. Amber punches him on the upper arm, hitting the nerve that numbs the arm. "Ow! What was that for?!"

"For being in on it, and making me think that you got hurt." Amber replies.

"Bogey is sorry." Murdock says, holding out the teddy bear.

"Man, stop it with the bear!" B.A. growls, grabbing the bear.

"Ah! No, stop it!" Murdock shouts, pulling the bear back. He glares at B.A., who waves him off.

"Happy birthday, Gem." Hannibal hands the girl a little box. Inside was a necklace with five different gemstones.

"Oh, guys, it's so pretty." Amber smiles, hugging Hannibal. "Thank you so much." The team groups around her, hugging her close.

"I know it's not the average 16th birthday for a girl, but we tried our best." Face says.

"I wouldn't trade it for any other girl's birthday." Amber smiles.

"But you don't get to be a normal girl. We know it's never been easy for you, being with us. It's a hard life." Amber smiles at the team.

"Yet, it's my favorite place to be. I wouldn't change it for the world."