Fever: Chapter 1

Amber woke up with a large headache. Groaning, she pulls herself upward to sit on the side of the bed.

"Up and up, Gem!" Murdock appears in the doorway, completely dressed. Amber remembers that the team was supposed to be heading into town to finish up a mission. "Hannibal wants to leave in 15 minutes...are you feeling alright?" Murdock asks, sitting next to her. Her face was paler than usual and her usual gleam in her eyes was gone.

"Yeah, yeah. I'll be fine. Just woke up." Amber says, waving him off.

"Okay then." Murdock says, not really believing it. Amber shoots him a glare, her usual gleam returning for a moment. Murdock smiles, ruffling her hair.

"Come on, girl! We've got some things to do!"

~~~

"Gem...Gem...Amber!" Amber jumps at her name. The entire team was staring at her.

"Are you okay?" Hannibal asks. Amber wasn't usually the one that zoned out during planning. She had seemed off today, rather quiet and pale.

"Yeah." Amber replies. B.A. sends Hannibal a look. He knew when Amber was alright, and she definitely wasn't. Hannibal returns the look with a slight nod.

"Okay then. You and Murdock are going to wait in the van while Face, B.A., and I take care of the rest." Hannibal says.

"What? But I thought I was going in with you." Amber questions.

"Well, plans change." Hannibal replies. Amber sits back, disappointed. "Alright, gang. Let's roll."

~~~

"I don't get it. He told me yesterday that I was going in with them." Amber states.

"I'm sorry, Gem, but if Hannibal changes the plan, it's for a good reason." Murdock says. Amber sits back in her chair.

"I guess so."

"What's that?" Murdock suddenly says. Amber sits up and follows his gaze to a small box on the street corner. It was shuffling around quite a bit.

"Stay here, Gem." Murdock says, climbing out of the car. Amber, however, didn't listen and steps out as well. She stays by the van as Murdock approaches the box. Murdock slowly pulls the box up and a cat runs out from underneath it. The cat disappears into an alley.

"Oh, it was only a kitty." Murdock laughs. Amber would've laughed if it wasn't for the sudden pain in her head.

"Murdock?" Amber mutters.

"Gem!" Murdock darts forward as her knees buckle. Murdock realizes the girl was sweating, yet shivering. He feels her head, almost jerking back in surprise. She was on fire.

"You're okay, Gem. You're okay." Murdock mutters to her. He grabs the walkie-talkie in the front of the van. "Hannibal, Hannibal, come in."

"What is it, Murdock?" Hannibal's voice replies.

"It's Amber. Something's wrong."

~~~

Face scans the room. He had just accomplished the mission. Now he had to find Amy and get her the info. Spotting the woman, he makes his way to her.

"Well, never thought I'd see you here." Face smiles.

"Face." Amy smiles and hugs the man. "How are you?"

"Doing okay. Just causing alittle bit of mischief." He replies, slipping the hard-drive to her. Amy expertly stashes it into her purse.

"Thank Hannibal when you see him." Amy smiles. Face returns the smile, but suddenly stops.

"Why don't you tell him yourself?" Amy turns to see Hannibal briskly making his way to them.

"Face, we've got to go. Something's wrong with Gem." Hannibal states.

"Gem? Isn't she the little girl B.A. brought onto the team?" Amy asks, recognizing the codename.

"Yes, and Murdock thinks she's got a fever. A bad one. We've got to go now." Hannibal says, nearly dragging Face away from Amy.

"I'll see you later. Say hi to the rest of the team for me." Amy calls after them. She had met Gem once, and knew that the team was very protective of her. If Gem did have a fever, Amy knew that she would be in good hands.