Fever: Chapter 2

"How is she, Face?" Hannibal asks, looking into the back of the van.

"She's on fire, Hannibal. We need to lower her temperature." Face replies, wiping the sweat off of Amber's forehead with his jacket. The team had situated Amber into the middle of the back seats, Face and Murdock on either side. Murdock had rolled up his jacket for her to use as a pillow, while Face was using his own to keep the sweat out of Amber's eyes. The girl was shivering violently, muttering things under her breath. Her once-bright eyes gaze dully around the van, unfocused.

"We're headed to the house. B.A. is pretty sure that we have some meds there." Hannibal informs.

"I'm not 'pretty sure', I am sure." B.A. growls from behind the wheel. Hannibal reaches over and places a hand on the man's shoulder. The African American had been anxious ever since Murdock had radioed Hannibal. It got worse when B.A. saw Amber's condition. Poor Murdock looked like he was going to be in tears (he hated seeing Amber in pain), while Face had a look of determination on his face. Hannibal appeared calm, but on the inside, he was freaking out. He didn't understand how he hadn't realized that Amber was definitely NOT okay when she kept zoning out during mission briefing. He was partly mad at himself for not realizing it sooner and at least leaving Amber home to rest.

"Hang in there, Gem. We're almost there."

~~~

"I'll help B.A. get Gem out of the van. Face, go see if we have anything for her. Murdock, get the couch ready." Hannibal orders as they pull into the driveway. Murdock runs into the house, leaving the door open, Face on his heels. Hannibal climbs into the back of the van. Slowly, he sits Amber up. The girl groans weakly.

"I know, Gem. I'm sorry." Hannibal mutters under his breath. B.A. reaches in and gently maneuvers Amber out of the van and into his arms. She involuntarily curls closer to him.

"I've got you, Amber. I've got you." B.A. whispers to her. B.A. follows Hannibal into the house and softly lays Amber onto the prepared couch. Murdock runs back to the van to get the rest of their things as Face appears.

"We don't have much, Hannibal, but I did find some ibuprofen." Face says, holding up the pill bottle.

"That's perfect. Go get her some water." Hannibal takes the bottle from Face, who runs off once more. "Sit her up, B.A." The man obeys, sitting Amber up gently, who groans in protest. Face reappears, a glass of water in hand. Taking out two pills, Hannibal takes the water and pills and kneels on the ground. He pushes the two pills into Amber's mouth and pours in some water. She instantly gulps, swallowing. Chills run up her body and she shivers as the cold water travels down her throat. Hannibal stands as B.A. lays her back down. Murdock appears, handing Face his jacket from the van.

"We need to keep Gem's temperature down." Hannibal starts, giving out orders. "We'll take shifts watching her. B.A., you've got first watch. If her temperature goes back up, you come let one of us know. That goes for the rest of you too. Face, you've got next watch. I'll cover for you, and Murdock will take my place." Hannibal finishes. He knew that B.A. would want to keep watching over her, but he would need the sleep, so he couldn't have a late watch. Face could handle staying up past midnight, and Hannibal himself would take the better portion of the night. Murdock could handle getting up early and watching over Amber until the rest of them got up.

They could handle this. Amber would be okay.