Fever: Chapter 3

The night went surprisingly well. Amber was in and out of consciousness a lot during the first half of the night, but after Face's shift, she seemed to slip into a more peaceful slumber. Her temperature had gone down significantly when Hannibal replaced Face. Hannibal hated having to wake her up so she could take another dose of ibuprofen, but it definitely seemed to be working, along with the cold washcloths the team had been using. Amber was fast asleep by the time Murdock came to replace Hannibal, around 4 in the morning.

"Her temperature has gone down, but still keep an eye on her. We don't need the fever to spike back up." Hannibal informs Murdock.

"Yes, sir, Colonel." Murdock salutes the man and sits in a chair, staring determinedly at Amber. Hannibal chuckles and makes his way to his bedroom. The next thing he knew, Face was shaking him awake.

"Hannibal, you need to come see this." Face says. Hannibal was up in an instant. He thought something was wrong with Amber, but it was quite the opposite.

"She's been up for awhile. Her laughter woke me up around 7." B.A. states to Hannibal as he enters the room. Amber was sitting up on the couch, legs crossed, and was laughing as Murdock was telling her a story that Hannibal recognizes as a pirate spin-off from a battle in Vietnam. Murdock had adjusted it, of course. The captain was wearing a miner's hat, though Hannibal hadn't the slightest idea of where he got one, and was waving around a plastic sword. Amber laughs loudly as Murdock pretends to stab himself and dies dramatically.

"That's not how it went!" B.A. states from his doorway.

"Well, you wouldn't know, now would ya?" Murdock says, mocking B.A. "We're at the Battle of the Scallops, thank ya very much. And if it wasn't for Billy here, Gem would've been thrown overboard already." Amber giggles quietly from behind her hands. Her eyes shone brightly as she watched the exchange between B.A. and Murdock. Her hair was smooshed from sleeping, but overall, she seemed much better. Hannibal edges around B.A. and walks over to her.

"How ya feeling, kiddo?" He asks, kneeling down.

"Better, thanks. Murdock told me everything that happened. Most of it made sense, except that my brain was making it so much weirder." Amber smiles.

"Hey, Gem, you hungry?" Face calls as he starts to walk to the kitchen. Amber goes to nod, but her stomach beats her to it. Amber blushes as B.A. and Murdock's bickering is loudly interrupted.

"Wow. That sounded like the horn that started the Battle of the Scallops." Murdock states. B.A. whaps him over the head.

"I'll take that as a yes." Face laughs, heading into the kitchen. Throughout the day, Amber had room-service. Murdock even got dressed in a butler outfit just for show as he delivered her lunch. Face checked her temperature once every couple hours. B.A. ended up on the couch with her, forcing her to rest. Hannibal would come in to check on her every once in a while, but he seemed to have a lot on his plate at the moment.

"Guys, it's okay. I'm fine now." Amber says as Murdock delivers another drink while Face was checking her temperature.

"You said that last time and look where it landed you." Face states, looking at the thermometer.

"You are going to stay in bed and rest." B.A. orders. "I don't want to see you walking around, not caring for yourself." Amber sighs in defeat.

"Fine." She says, though she couldn't complain. She knew that the team was just being protective. After all, she did pass out on them.

"Don't worry, Gem. Billy and I will look after ya!" Murdock sends the girl a wink. "So, would you like strawberry or chocolate ice cream?"

"Both, please!"