Past Memories

B.A. shuffles through the box he keeps under his bed. The box contained little items that reminded him of past memories. Like the medal he won for being the wrestling champion at school. Several notes from high school sweethearts, as well as his momma. Stuff like that.

A sliver of color beneath the notes catches B.A.'s attention. He pulls on it and pulls out an old photograph. In the picture was the team. A little girl with sparkling eyes, a wide grin, and pigtails sat on his shoulders in the picture. B.A. smiles. He remembers when the picture was taken. It was just a few days after he had found Amber, about 10 years ago...

The A-Team was walking at the boardwalk, enjoying a beautiful day. The team's newest member was gazing all around her in wonder.

"What do you think, kiddo?" Hannibal smiles at the girl. The 7 year-old nods with a grin, her missing tooth exposed. She looked a lot better than the previous couple days. She no longer wore that old tattered dress, and her hair shone in the sun, untangled and clean. She had a nice complexion now that dirt and grime didn't cover her. She wore a green shirt and jean overalls, with matching shoes. Her hair was in pigtails right now, and B.A. was surprised she had let them stay in as long as she had.

"Come on, Amber! Let's go win a prize!" Murdock takes off, Amber on his heels.

"Wait for me, Murdock!" B.A. chuckles as she runs after Murdock.

"I still can't believe how much better she is!" Face comments. "She was nervous about being around us just a few days ago. I mean, aside from B.A., of course."

"She's lived a tough life." Hannibal agrees. "You can see it sometimes in her eyes."

"Enough talk about her past life." B.A. states. He hated talking about the state Amber had been in when he found her. "You still haven't come up with her codename, Hannibal."

"Now, B.A., picking a codename is something that cannot be rushed." Hannibal says, waving his cigar. "I just can't think of one that fits her."

"But it was easy when you did us." B.A. points out.

"Yes, but 'Bad Attitude' Baracus was kind of easy to pick for you." Face comments. B.A. curls his hand into a fist, but stops when Amber appears, pulling Murdock after her.

"Come on, B.A., come on!" She says, tugging at the man.

"What is it?" Amber doesn't reply until she drags B.A. over to an open area. She points at a man currently taking a picture of a couple.

"I wanna picture with you! Please!" Amber says, smiling.

"Amber's first picture with the team. Sounds kind of nice." Face smiles. As Hannibal hands the man some money, Amber looks up at B.A.

"I want to sit on your shoulders please." B.A. smiles.

"Alright. Come 'ere." Amber squeals in delight as B.A. sweeps her up and places her on his shoulders. The team gathers around and the man snaps a picture. Amber immediately climbs down from B.A. and stands by the man while he gets the picture.

"Here you go." The man hands Amber the picture. "A perfect gem for a little girl."

"Gem...Gem..." Hannibal smiles. "I like it. What do you guys think?"

"Gem?" Face grins as Amber runs back to B.A. "It's got a nice ring to it."

"Oh, I just love it, Colonel!" Murdock smiles.

"Well then." Hannibal turns to Amber. "Welcome to the team, Gem."