THE CHALLENGE

JI CHANG WOOK

" So let me get this straight, " Anne was looking at me doubtfully. " You don't want us to race but you want us to go inside of that? "

I gave her a crooked smile. " Yes."

Anne opened her mouth to say something but closed it a few seconds after. Biting her lower lip, she looked at the cave sitting before us.

It was an hour after we got the canoes from Jihan. The old man was a savior. I didn't think he'd be able to find me two canoes last minute. I'm grateful that he did. I didn't have a back up challenge in mind.

I didn't really think Anne would show up that morning. Heck, I didn't think she'd challenge me like that either. I was just messing around with her at the campfire. I didn't realize I touched a nerve.

" This is insane, " I heard her say.

We were on our boats; She on the blue one, me on the yellow. I didn't tell her where we were going. I just asked her to follow me when we were set to go. We paddled slower than usual; it took awhile before our eyes managed to adjust to the darkness. Anne followed my lead without complain as I tried to navigate the location of the cave. I've seen it a couple of times when we were training. I even overheard the local guide say that it was haunted. There were rumors that people who went inside never came out.

I don't believe in haunted places. I think people make stories up for publicity, which I think was the case for this particular cave.

" Are you scared? " I raised one eyebrow at Anne.

She furrowed her brows at me. " I'm not scared, " she said in a defensive tone. " I just don't think exploring a haunted cave is a good idea of a challenge."

So, she heard the rumors too.

I cocked my head to one side. " I think you're scared." I told her as a matter-of-factly. " Concede and then we can go back."

" I told you I'm not scared! " She snapped at me, her eyes flashing.

" Then let's go, " I ignored her angry look and paddled forward.

I didn't hear nor see any movement from her until I was just a few inches from entering the mouth of the cave.

" I don't get what this proves, " she muttered when she finally resumed the post beside my canoe.

" The challenge is to 'come out' of the cave, " I finally told her. " They say it's haunted so the last person who'll stay longer in the cave wins."

She narrowed her eyes at me. " This is the most ridiculous challenge that I've ever heard of."

I ignored her irritated tone of voice and smiled. " After you, Anne,"

She rolled her eyes at me. She quickly put on the yellow helmet after switching the power button of the hat's flashlight. She took a deep breath before paddling forward.

Putting on my helmet, I followed her lead.

Everything was dark inside; the only source of light was coming from our helmet's built-in lights. The entrance was wide but it got narrower as we paddled forward. Anne was in front of me and I could see her looking around the cave quietly. She didn't say anything so I decided to take her cue and remained silent.

We followed the long narrow passage. Twenty minutes into the alley, the space got really cramped that our canoes bumped into the cavern walls. The impact made an eerie echoing sound and I felt Anne dart me a nervous look. I nodded at her encouragingly. We continued paddling silently, attentive to every sound that we hear. We canoed through the water in a single file, with Anne a few meters in front of me. I saw her maneuver her boat to make a right turn. I did the same. I was just straightening my boat to avoid hitting the walls again when I heard a flapping sound. I looked up in time to see Anne's headlight hit a mass of dark cloud moving towards us.