AFTERMATH

JI CHANG WOOK

Several newspapers slid through the table and halted in front of us. I didn't bother lowering my eyes to read the headlines. I already knew what was in those papers and why Anne and I were summoned at the CEO's office the day after our disastrous lunch date.

" This is exactly what we're trying to avoid! " Jake's voice thundered across the room.

I saw Anne leaned over to quickly check the newspapers Jake threw from across the table

" So they took harmless photos of us, " I said defensively. " There's nothing surprising in there."

Jake leaned forward and glared at me. " Did you read today's papers, Chang? "

Before I could retort, I heard Anne gasp beside me as her eyes quickly skimmed through the article, one hand over her mouth. I saw her quickly discard the first newspaper and went on to read the second one. I saw her lift her eyes to Jake, ashen-faced, her hands trembling as she placed the paper down.

Frowning, I grabbed the newspaper nearest me and brought my eyes down to it.My heart slammed against my chest when I saw the headline.

SHE STOLE MY BOYFRIEND!

Underneath the headline was a photo of me and Anne in the noodle house. They chose to use the photo were Anne was locked protectively in my arms as I covered her eyes with one hand in my lousy attempt to protect her from the angry camera flashes surrounding us. The frame was divided into two, Anne and I on the left side while a black and white portrait of Gong Je Hya occupied the other side.

What the hell? I thought as I quickly read the article.

The article spoke of us being caught eating inside a restaurant. Again. It spoke of my supposed relationship with Je Hya and Anne as the mysterious woman who was coming between the two of us.

I quickly grabbed another newspaper from the pile that Jake tossed. My head started to spin when I read an almost similar headline.

JI CHANG WOOK AND NEW GIRLFRIEND SPOTTED!

A photo of myself with Anne, half hidden behind me, was used to support the article. Again, Je Hya was referenced as my girlfriend and Anne was the third party wrecking our supposed relationship.

" This is insane, " I growled as I slammed the paper on the table.

I quickly looked at Anne whose chair was beside me. Her face has paled and she has a dumbstruck expression as she stared at Jake silently.

" Anne, I'm sorry, " I began as I reached out to touch her arm.

This was all my fault. If we didn't go to that restaurant, if I hadn't stupidly invited her out, this would not have happened.

She turned to look at me and I felt a familiar ache in my chest when I saw the fear in her eyes.

We heard Jake stand up from his chair as he looked at us pointedly.

" Sorry is not going to be much of help here, " he said in a hard voice.

He looked from me to Anne and vice versa. " I don't even fucking understand why both of you ended up in that restaurant. If you both wanted to eat noodles so badly, Daniel could have bought a bunch of Jajammyeon and we could all have a Korean noodle party. But why the fuck did you have to go there?!  "

Jake seldom cursed and when he did, we knew he was angry. But the way he was looking at both of us this morning told us that he wasn't just angry. He was furious.

" Chang, you have a TV series coming out. You know how these people go crazy whenever you're doing a new flick!"

I shrugged offhandedly.