HAPPY

JI CHANG WOOK

" Two more steps, " I said as I held both of Anne's hands as she slowly took the flight of stairs. " Slowly..."

" Are we not there yet? " She asked as she lifted one foot and tentatively set it on the step.

I chuckled as I gently pulled her up the stairs. " Not yet, "

" Not to alarm you or anything, " Anne said as she held onto my hands. " But I am getting nauseated with this blindfold. "

I let out a low laugh and slowly guided her towards the door.

" We're almost there, " I assured her.

" You've been saying that for the last fifteen minutes, Chang. " she muttered.

I shook my head in amusement. I had her blindfolded midway to our drive to this place.

" Don't move for a second. "

I turned the knob of the wooden door and pushed it open using my foot. The waiter assigned at the door quickly saw us and quietly held the door open. Mouthing a silent thank you, I reached out for Anne's hands again and instructed her to walk slowly.

" Are we in a restaurant? " Anne asked in an incredulous voice as she heard the sound of silverware, the chatters and the soft jazz music playing in the background.

I didn't reply as I glanced at the waiter standing by our table. He quickly pulled the seat away from the table and I led Anne towards his direction. I quickly positioned Anne between the chair and the table and assisted her in sitting down.

When I was finally seated across her, I signaled for the waiter to remove her blindfold.

I saw her squint as she accustomed her eyes to the ceiling lights. She blinked twice and when she saw me, she let out a loud gasp.

" What-? " She looked at me in bewilderment.

She quickly craned her neck to look around. Her eyes swiftly roamed the room and I couldn't help but smile when I saw her awed expression.

We were in a massive barn that I had converted into a rustic themed restaurant. There were twenty other dining tables in the room, decorated lavishly with flowers and lighted centerpieces. The pillars were wrapped with fairy lights, the ceiling adorned with hanging bulb lights  giving it a cozy rustic feel.

But what made it more amazing were the four member jazz band that I hired and the dozens of actors who were 'dining' in their respective tables.

" I know you've been wanting to go out and have a normal dinner, " I said slowly as her eyes continued to roam the room. " And with our upcoming show, it's just impossible to go somewhere without creating a ruckus. "

Her eyes landed back to me as I spoke.

" So I thought, " I went on as I raised my hands and gestured on the things around us. " If I can't bring you to a restaurant, I might as well bring the restaurant to you. "