WAITING

JAKE

" I'm sorry sir but you can't go beyond this point, " the nurse told me blocking the way into the emergency room.

I halted and watched helplessly as the hospital beds carrying Anne and Ji Chang Wook disappeared behind the door.

" They'll be fine, Jake, " Lianne lightly touched my arm consolingly.

I didn't say anything as I stared at the automatic doors.

It's been more than forty eight hours since we landed in Jeju; almost two hours since we found Anne and Chang Wook lifeless inside that cave.

I've turned Jeju upside down in the search for the two of them; that everyone residing in that island knew that they were missing. After forty eight hours of searching, I finally found the person whom they last spoke to - the boatman who lent them the canoes.

I used all the government connections that I have to increase my search army. It paid off when the coastguard found two unmanned canoes just outside the mouth of the cave that they were in.

I have never been afraid of anything in my life. But seeing their lifeless bodies inside that cold cavern scared the hell out of me. I knew that the memory of Anne, unconscious and being carried to the rescue boat will haunt me forever.

" It's chaos outside, " I was brought back to reality by the sound of Daniel's anxious voice. " All stations seem to be well represented."

When one of the country's lead actors was rumored to be stranded or dead, the media will for sure have a field day.

" We're issuing an official statement in half an hour, " I heard Lianne say in an authoritative voice. " My team is briefing Tony and the training crew as we speak."

Lianne had flown several of her team members earlier that day. I can't recall when they arrived in Jeju exactly. But it didn't matter. I can't really remember a lot of things that happened since we've landed.

" I've already informed Chang Wook's mother. " I heard Daniel say. " I cannot not tell her what happened. She heard all the rumors. "

" Of course, " Lianne said in a clipped voice. " I trust she knows the drill."

If there's anything that people should know about Lianne, it's her passion and dedication to her work. She took her job as Spotlight's Head of Public Relations quite seriously.

When we recruit someone to become our talent, they were briefed extensively on actors etiquettes. In simpler terms, the Dos and Don'ts when you're a South Korean celebrity. There were a few things that actors were expected to do, some of which get extended to their immediate families. In Spotlight, immediate family members were forbidden to comment or react to any gossip, rumors or hearsays about their relative actor. They must always refer to the agency's official statements on issues, regardless if it's the truth or a cover-up.

" Shouldn't we also inform Anne's family? " Riwa asked in an anxious voice. " Her father maybe?"

I spun around and looked at the middle aged woman.

" I am her family. " I told her in a hard voice.

Riwa quickly nodded and lowered her eyes. " Of course, " she mumbled

" Jake is Anne's cousin, " Lianne cleared her throat breaking the uncomfortable silence. " He will be the one to inform the family. Right Jake? "

She looked at me pointedly.

I nodded curtly and tore my eyes away from the trio.

I knew my cousin well enough to know that she didn't want her father to know what happened to her. Much more find out where she was. Of the weeks that she'd been here, she had not bothered to reach out to him. I knew because he reached out to me. Uncle Andrew knew that if anyone knew where Anne was, it would be me.