12: My Veins

Matty and George do end up making an appearance on Grimmy's show a few days before they have to leave, which George immediately regrets agreeing to when Matty tugs him out of bed at some ungodly hour of the morning what seems to be minutes after George closes his eyes.

George had stayed up far too late the night before experimenting with an instrumental piece that Matty had said they should put on their new album, trying to get the sound just right even though Matty swore it was fine the way it was.

The fact that they had to be on the morning show so early had completely slipped his mind, leaving him sullen and irritated from lack of sleep as he stumbles along behind Matty who's making his way through the hallways of the radio station with a spring in his step, his alertness feeling like a subtle taunt for some strange reason which only has George even more frustrated than he already is.

Nick greets them both fondly before sitting them down and running them through what they'll be doing. George barely listens, catching something about Twitter and the new tour. He's not trying to be rude, but his head is fuzzy, and he sort of wishes he had time to smoke a blunt before they left, but what he really wants is to crawl back under his sheets for just a little while longer.

Matty does most of the talking as usual though, leaving George to mumble a reply when it's needed. George spends the majority of the show with his head on Matty's shoulder and his eyes closed, a contented hum slipping out of his throat when Matty begins toying with the hair at the nape of his neck absentmindedly.

Matty's in a particularly bubbly mood, which George is happy to see. He laughs loudly when Nick brings up the attempted kidnapping of his dog the other night, which Grimmy of course exaggerates to the point that it seems to his listeners that he had to pry the poor pooch out of Matty's arms in a valiant act of bravery. George interjects then, reminding Nick of how he didn't seem at all bothered by the loss of his precious pet, which Grimmy denies vehemently of course.

George spaces out for a bit after that, answering a question whenever it's directed at him, but otherwise staying silent as Matty prattles away cheerily. George missed seeing Matty like this, excited and thrumming and vivacious. His breakup with Gemma had drained those traits out of him for a bit, and even before then, Matty had seemed a bit off, but now everything's slowly righting itself once again, and George is more at peace than he's been in quite some time.

"What's got Georgie so knackered?" George hears Grimmy ask. When he forces his lids to open for a split second, he sees that Nick's pointing a thumb at him. George isn't sure if they're on air at the moment or not, but he's just getting comfortable, so he doesn't bother with replying.

"He was all up night mixing, forgot about this whole thing entirely I'm pretty sure," Matty chuckles fondly, petting down the dip in between George's shoulders in a way that makes George want to shove his spine back into Matty's palm, but he stays still, pretending to be out it for a little while longer.

Nick laughs at that before questioning Matty about if they've started working on anything new, which of course has Matty spiraling off into a tangent involving everything they've got in progress, and what he wants to do in the future. George thinks he actually does doze off at that point, because he doesn't remember the rest of the discussion in the slightest.

The show is starting to wrap up when George jolts awake. Matty has moved suddenly, removing George's makeshift pillow so he can stare down at something Nick's showing him.

Matty's practically hanging off of Grimmy by the time George rubs the sleep out of his eyes, and although George knows he's being ridiculous, he still feels an angry tendril of jealousy snaking its way through his brain.