26: Empty House

Matty strips off his shirt almost as soon as they get backstage the afternoon of their next show, flexing his neck from side to side as if he wants people to comment on the smattering of marks littering his pale skin.

George's cock twitches when he sees how many he left and how dark they've turned over the course of a few hours, his favorite by far being the one on Matty's back that still carries the faint imprint of his teeth. George tries to keep his staring to a minimum, but it's hard with the way Matty is prancing around the room, drawing all eyes to him in that way that he has no matter where he is or what he's doing.

George is actually a bit surprised by Matty's display, but minus Adam and Ross, everyone else will probably assume the bruises were made by a fan, and Matty's always loved attention in any and all forms.

This might actually be a good sign George thinks. If Matty is slowly getting over the embarrassment of having his friends know what he's been up to with George, that means he's becoming more accepting of himself and his preferences in general, or he might claim they were made by the girl he was with last night if he's asked, it's hard to tell with Matty.

George chokes on a laugh when no one gives him the reaction he's so obviously searching for, although Ross sends George a glare tinged with fondness when their eyes meet. George actually does chuckle out loud when Matty eventually gets cold and throws his blouse back on without buttoning it up properly, his lips pushing out in a pout that George wishes he could kiss away.

Matty's jittery and excited the entire evening leading up to their performance, but not in the manner he was before in which George was actually worried that he was going to work himself into a panic. It's a different mindset, Matty has a lot of those, but this one isn't at all toxic, which so many of them seem to be lately.

George likes it when Matty gets this way, although it can be irritating at times since happy Matty often means he's a shit to everyone, but it's obvious by the grin that stretches across his face and the way his mouth is running at one hundred miles an hour that he's enjoying himself, and that's all George ever wants for him.

He's relieved once they finally get the five-minute call though, mostly because he thinks Matty might burst if he doesn't expel some of his seemingly never-ending energy, either that or Adam will strangle him. He's been the subject of most of Matty's jokes and pranks for the past few hours, and George can tell he's getting a bit fed up with Matty invading his personal space and stealing his food every time he turns his back.

"You ready?" George asks while they're waiting off to the side for their cue to go on, his arm slinging around Matty's shoulders so he can still him for long enough to receive an answer.

"Yeah," Matty nods, his eyes glittering minutely in the dull lighting as he tilts his head back to meet George's gaze.

George resists the urge to lean down and kiss Matty, instead squeezing him to his side gently before letting him go so he can grab his drumsticks. The fact that Matty's irises are vibrant and sparkling fills his own veins with an injection of exhilaration and anticipation as he hears the crowd beginning to chant their names.

Matty's performance tonight is a startling contrast to his last. He's enigmatic and awe-inspiring, his animated persona affecting the entire band in the best way. George can't stop smiling the entire time, and it's almost enough for him to forget about how Matty cried during their last show, because it's in the past, and whatever had Matty so emotional is blessedly absent tonight.

Matty all but runs to George once they're off stage, his teeth glinting dully before he wraps his arms around George from behind, a pleased hum leaving his throat as he presses up against George's sweat-slick back.