17: Walls

George wakes up first this time for once, shutting off the alarm on his phone so it won't disturb Matty. By the time he's finished gathering up their things and brewing himself a cup of coffee, Matty still hasn't stirred.

George thought for sure that the smell would wake him, but apparently not. George ends up having to physically shake Matty into consciousness when some friendly shouting doesn't work either, but even once Matty's eyes are open, he refuses to budge off of the mattress.

"You're going to miss bus call if you don't move soon," George scoffs when Matty simply gathers the duvet tighter around him after George tries to tug it away, curling into a ball composed of bare limbs and an excessive amount of fabric. He looks so peaceful right then that George stops wrestling with his coverings, but as much as he wishes he could let Matty sleep the day away like he probably needs to, he's got to get him on the bus first. "I wouldn't put it past the boys to get permission from Jamie to leave you behind."

"Good luck playing tomorrow's show without a singer," Matty retaliates, peeking his head up slightly when he realizes that George is no longer attempting to steal his blankets. "Plus, Jamie wouldn't do that, he adores me."

"He probably would, it'd teach you a lesson for being such a lazy twat."

"I didn't know we were doing self-evaluations this morning," Matty sneers, but his eyes are sparkling with suppressed laughter that he's not able to hide.

"Shut up and get in the shower before I throw you in there myself, you smell like come," George sighs. As much as he's enjoying this playful banter with his best friend, he is painfully aware of the seconds sliding away from them the longer they keep talking, and hopefully the hot water will get Matty functioning again.

"Most of it's yours." Matty sounds almost proud of that fact, and George's stomach swirls with something potent when he sees the languid look in Matty's eyes.

"True - I'll wash it off if you want," George smirks smugly, not anticipating Matty's nod of agreement, but that's exactly what he receives when Matty sits up properly, letting the blankets covering him pool in his lap as he stretches lazily.

"Might as well get clean together if you're so worried about being late," Matty scoffs like he's not being serious, even though the questioning gaze he turns in George's directions tells him that he actually wants George's company, but he's not going to ask for it aloud in case George was only messing around.

"Yeah - 'course." George clears his throat roughly when Matty finally slides out of bed, still completely nude and not at all bothered by the fact, although George isn't either.

It's just odd being able to look at him without trying to be discrete, not that George ever purposely attempted to steal glimpses of Matty naked, it just happens sometimes, but now they are about to shower - together. That's another first for them.

George thought that after being friends with Matty for so long, they would have run out of new experiences by now, but under the pretense of their agreement or whatever the fuck it is, George is now granted permission to delve into a previously inaccessible world of activities that he would typically only participate in with a girlfriend or boyfriend.

George trails behind Matty slowly as they enter the bathroom, trying to be discrete with his sidelong glances as he watches Matty bend over so he can fiddle with the knobs and run his hand through the water, testing the temperature as George strips out of the clothes he had put on earlier.

George doesn't realize that he's been spacing out until Matty calls his name, his spine jerking slightly as Matty steps over the lip of the tub before gesturing for George to join him.