27: I've Been Changed

George finds Matty curled up on the sofa in the main area of the bus the next night on his way into the kitchen to get a glass of water, although part of his reason for his impromptu trip may have been caused more by the fact that Matty hadn't returned to his bunk yet and George was curious what he was up to than any actual thirst.

Everyone else had retired long ago since they'd been playing shows nonstop the entire week, leaving them all knackered and half-dead on their feet most of the time, but George can't relax until he makes sure that Matty is alright.

George had kept a close eye on him after the incident with John, but no matter how carefully he observed him, Matty had seemed fine once he had emerged from the back with the saxophonist. His eyes were shiny and he was a bit quieter than usual, but he had clung to George once he realized he was back, practically crawling into his lap so he could get to his coffee and then staying there when Adam and John took up the rest of the seats, which he wouldn't have done if he was upset with George.

George must have overreacted when he assumed that Matty had discovered his feelings for him, because he's not acting differently now, or pulling away any more than he has been. Maybe John just played him a new part and he'd gotten emotional over it, or John could have shared something with Matty that had him choking up, or anything in between really.

There are thousands of explanations for what had happened, and George isn't going to assume the worst unless Matty approaches him about it, which he hasn't done. George has a feeling that he's safe, at least for the time being. Matty would have said something by now if he truly had been found out, and as long as he's careful, he should be able to continue hiding his secret affections for the older man.

"Really Matty?" George groans under his breath when he sees that Matty's eyes are glued to the television which is currently playing Weekend - again.

"It's my favorite movie," Matty huffs out his reply like that isn't a fact that George is already aware of, stretching his slender body lazily before sitting up slightly, patting the seat next to him in a silent plea for George to join him, which he does of course.

"Should have known you weren't completely straight when you told me that," George teases, making himself comfortable before wrapping his arm around Matty when he immediately leans against his side.

"Oh sod off, straight people can like this," Matty retorts hotly, "it's honestly such a wonderful film, even Ross said he enjoyed it."

"Yeah, but you're not one of them, in fact, I don't think Ross is either."

"What are you on about?" Matty fully turns to face George, the movie forgotten about in favor of gossip which has George laughing deeply before he answers Matty's query.

"Well I could be wrong, but haven't you noticed how much time Ross is spending with John lately, and he got very defensive when I insulted a jumper that John had apparently picked out for him."

"Oh god, you mean that hideous yellow thing?" Matty chortles happily when George nods, his eyes shimmering joyfully as he collapses against George's chest in a fit of giggles. "They have been getting closer recently now that you mention it, I can't believe I didn't see this sooner."

"Now Adam just needs to fancy a bloke and this will be the gayest band ever." George joins Matty with his own soft chuckle, his heart swelling with happiness since it seems like forever since he and Matty shared a proper laugh together.

"You're right...hey - we should name our group chat gay boys instead of rad lads," Matty suggests, pulling his phone out immediately after to do just that supposedly, which should receive some interesting reactions from Ross and Adam in the morning.