Chapter 27

"I offer you my congratulations, Prince Christian." A flick and the feather fan opens above Astara's smile. Chris inwardly grimaces, knowing that something was going to happen.

Astara doesn't do congratulations. Not sincere ones, at least.

Manners were important even if one does not mean what they are saying. She was giving an incentive and he had to take it.

Seems like Aiden wasn't going to have any unfortunate encounters.

"Thank you, Lady Astara."

Her eyes crinkle and he can tell she has a very wide smile on. Astara tilts her head and makes the universal gesture of please, "Would you like to talk somewhere more private, your highness?"

Ah, sh*t. What did he do?

Nonetheless, Chris nods and follows her.

(She gave him a terrifyingly polite shovel talk, promising that if he were to hurt Rey intentionally in any way then his limbs will be at stake. Chris—doesn't take offense to it, seeing it as endearing.

Ah, that's right! Didn't Rey see Lady Astara as a little sister? Didn't that mean she was also his younger sister now?

...on second thought, that was terrifying. He might need to ask Allan for tips on how to deal with this madlady when it does come to that.)

/|\|/|\|/|\|/|\|/|\|/|\|/|\|/|\

Despite the fact that they were now "courting" or what Rey preferred to call dating, not much changed. Chris would still come by and they would spend time together... and then hug.

And then. Sometimes. Chris would lean over and peck his forehead.

He would always pause before doing so. Maybe, it was to see if Rey himself didn't want it? That was sweet of him.

Like now, for example.

A mischievous thought suddenly popped into Rey's head and he gave Chris a small smirk before leaning over and directly kissing him on the lips. His mask had been put away a while ago and a pretty blush engulfed Chris' face. It looked as if he could catch on fire any time now.

This would be the second time they kissed. But considering the circumstances the first one happened in, this should be their first official kiss.

"I..." Chris wants to say something, but can't seem to find the words to do so.

Rey smiled and shoved a cookie he had baked in his... boyfriend's mouth.

Ah. He could call Chris his boyfriend.

This... it suddenly hit him, the implications of it. He was dating a noble and it seemed like he was important enough. What if the war finally reached a point where Chris had to be sent out?

They should have a talk about that. Probably.

"You won't leave me, right?" Rey murmurs, just loud enough for Chris to hear. It made Chris straighten his back and remember that he hadn't actually talked with Rey about the "He was actually a prince" thing and all. Rey would still accept him, right?