ten²: the story of us

Note: underlined and italicized text is to indicate that text is being read or spoken in English.

Also, for the full experience because I don't really like writing out the lyrics (yes someone is singing wink wink) have Perfect by Ed Sheeran ready, you'll know when you have to play it :)
—•

JJG

Jeongguk and Taehyung sat awkwardly at their table at a coffee shop near Jeongguk's apartment, sipping their drinks in silence. Jeongguk took occasional glances from his cup to look at Taehyung, and once in a blue moon he'd catch Taehyung looking at him too.

It's the first time he's seen him in more casual clothing. Just a pair of loose jeans and a sweater, yet he still looked effortlessly gorgeous. Jeongguk was feeling a little inferior in his sweats and oversized black shirt as he had felt too tired to change after his shower. Good thing the coffee shop they were at didn't call for fancy attire.

"So," Taehyung said, finally breaking the silence. "What did we need to talk about?"

Jeongguk set his cup down and looked at Taehyung without looking away this time. He bit his lip, cursing himself for not remembering a single thing he practiced to say earlier, but at least he knew where he should start.

"I'm sorry, Taehyung," Jeongguk apologized, saying his words slowly and clearly. Taehyung's brows raised ever so slightly, not excepting an apology of all things. What was more of a surprise is that he'd used his name once again instead of Mr. Kim.

"For what?" Taehyung asked, sounding clearly confused and wondering if his memory is faltering.

"For being a rude jerk. You didn't deserve to be treated like that. I should've put everything behind us but instead I decided to be petty."

Taehyung pressed his lips together and shook his head. "No, you have all rights to be upset with me."

"No I don't," Jeongguk said with a shake of his own. He was finally going to speak about it and not run away.

"Yes, the break up wasn't exactly mutual when it happened but I understand why we did, yet I pretended like I didn't. I put all the blame on you when I was as much to blame for why we didn't work out. I wanted to believe that if we didn't break up that day, that we would've worked out. I've gotten over us not working out, but I was still upset that you didn't put up a stronger fight, even though I didn't either."

Taehyung didn't interrupt so Jeongguk continued. "I guess over time I was convinced that everything was all your fault was the truth and honestly I still am, it'll take a while to completely get over it, but I will because I know now that it is not. So I want to put that all behind. I want to restart."

"Restart?" Taehyung repeated, wondering what he meant by that.

Jeongguk nodded. "I want for us to be able to come to work and not be such awkward grown adults. So, let's just forget everything that's happened," he said.

"Okay, a fresh start," Taehyung said, replaying Jeongguk sentences again and again in his head to make sure he didn't miss anything.

Jeongguk took in a large breath before he stretched out his arm towards the other.

"Jeon Jeongguk, nice to meet you," Jeongguk said.

Taehyung stared at the hand longer then necessary. He finally got where this was getting at. He smiled and took Jeongguk's hand, giving it a firm shake. "Kim Taehyung. Let's be good friends– or at least good co-workers."

Jeongguk smiled back and retrieved his hand. He expected to feel like a huge weight had been lifted off his shoulder by something still wasn't right. For now, he could be happy that the weight had at least been halved.