Chapter 3

Chapter 3

She walked to the debrief station the following morning, a mug of caf in hand. She had been plagued with nightmares. Nightmares of her cousin's murders, of a black figure taking her away from a desert planet into a tie-fighter. She felt another massacre. Innocent people dying. So much darkness. Around her, but more importantly inside her.

She walked towards her aunt, who was waiting for her and her partner for this mission. Leia waved for her to meet her at the screen.

"Padme, how did you sleep?" She asked. Leia knew Padme would try to lie, so she gave her a look that would make her tell the truth. Padme huffed.

"Not good," She started. When Leia ushered her to say more, she simply said, "nightmares." and Leia dropped it.

But her insistence of being brief was not the only reason Leia let off the interrogation. She looked up past Padme's shoulder and beckoned someone over. Padme instantly knew who it was. She didn't need to be force-sensitive to know who was arriving.

"Commander," She greeted him. Hah, Padme thought. Not on a first-name basis yet, are you Dameron?

"General," He responded. He walked to the other side of Leia and let her brief them on the mission they were about to set off on.

"Let's get started. You will be going to a planet in the inner rim, Jakku. It is a small desert trading planet in the Jakku system," She pulled up an image of the planet, zooming in on one village. "You will be going to Tuanul, a sacred village. There, you will meet a rebel ally named Lor San Tekka. He will give you something," She pulled up an image of the old man, followed by a small crystal looking device. Leia took a look at Padme before she continued. "He has a map to Luke Skywalker," She said. The two looked at Padme as Leia finished her sentence. Padme looked down, clenching her jaw.

It was hard for her to hear her father's name again. Let alone, go and find him. She knew he didn't want to be found. She had tried to tell her aunt that before, but clearly, she had ignored her niece's advice. Padme looked up again, ready to hear the rest of the mission. Leia took the hint.

"Your mission is simple. Get the map and bring it back here," She referred to Poe for the next advice, "Do not get sidetracked. If the Order got a hold of this, it would be disastrous."

"When do we leave?" Poe asked. Leia looked at her for a second with her eyebrows raised. "Now, got it."

Poe walked away to prepare his x-wing, but Leia stopped Padme before she could leave with him. "Padme," She started, "Are you going to be okay on this mission?" She asked the young girl.

"Of course, general," She responded. Leia gave her a soft smile and sent her on her way.

Padme walked to her ship. On her way, her droid rolled up to her, beeping happily.

"Hey Sev, you ready for our mission?" BB-7 beeped happily. "Yes, Sev. BB-8 will be coming with us." The droid made a swooning beep. "Sev!" She said, laughing.

Just as they finished their short conversation, BB-7 rolled towards another x-wing. She saw the other BB unit roll towards hers. The orange and white droid slowed when it saw the red and white one.

"BB-8! Oh," Padme heard. Poe weaved through the x-wings to look for Padme. Wherever her droid was, she couldn't be far away. He understood that, that's how close he was with his droid. Padme jogged to the droids, trying to block out their conversation. "Hey," Poe said.

"Sorry, Sev was really excited to see him," She apologized to the commander.

"It's fine, you know BB-8 was excited too," He laughed, but his droid heard his comment. Padme looked down at the droid, trying to hold back a giggle. He quickly rolled away when BB-7 summoned him to look at something she had found earlier.

"You ready?" Padme asked. She looked down when he looked at her.

"Y-yeah," He stammered. He didn't know why she was acting odd, but he assumed it was because of the mission. "I'll call them back. BB-8!" He shouted. The two droids came rolling back, beeping playfully at each other.

"Lovebirds," Padme joked. Poe snickered behind her. She turned. "What?" She said, smiling.

"Nothing," He muttered under a smile.

"What? Tell me!" Padme said, lightly punching his shoulder.

"Nothing! It's nothing. We should get going," He said through a smile. She nodded happily and turned to see her droid right behind her.

"Alright Sev, let's get going!" She said. She turned to Poe and saluted before she left for her x-wing. He turned to BB-8 when he beeped something to him.

"Let's go, BB-8," He said.

The two pilots boarded their planes and brought in their droids. They put on their headsets and connected the comms. Padme flipped the proper switches and prepared for take-off.

"Standing by," She said as she pressed the final buttons.

"Alright, let's head out," He said.

They both slowly made their way to the runway and took off into the atmosphere.

When they exited the atmosphere, Poe checked to make sure he had the coordinates in right.

"Coordinate lock?" He asked Padme.

"Roger roger," She joked. The two laughed at her imitation of the old droids.

"Entering Hyperspace," Poe said.

"Copy that Poe, See you there!" She responded before they both jumped.

The two pilots spoke with their droids, mostly about the other's BB unit.