Chapter 30

Chapter 30

"We'll use the charges to blow that blast door. I'll go in and draw fire, but I'm gonna need cover," Finn instructed. They were preparing to ambush the base. They would set charges and run as quickly as they could to get out with Rey.

"You sure you're up for this?" Han asked. He wasn't ready when he had his first rescue mission all those years ago. He thought he was, but when it came down to the wire, he realized the stakes were much higher against the Empire than they were against common bounty hunters.

"Hell no," Well, at least he's honest, Han thought. "I'll go in find and try to find Rey," He started explaining his plan. "The troopers will be on our tail. We have to be ready for that."

Padme, standing behind and out of sight of Finn, turned around when she felt a familiar presence on the other side of the ledge.

"There's an access tunnel that leads -" Han noticed Padme's sudden disengagement and looked where she was looking. Sure enough, Rey was climbing up the wall across from them. He started nodding towards her, but Finn didn't get it.

"Why are you doing that? Why are you doing," He imitated the older man in front of him "This? I'm trying to come up with a plan," Padme slapped his shoulder from behind him, keeping her attention on Rey across the way. Finn turned and saw her climbing as well.

The group felt hope again, just as they were about to lose it.

"We have to meet her there," Padme said, walking away from the group. She had no idea where she was going, but she went anyway.

They met her just when she was coming up onto the top. She was creeping around, careful as to not alert any stormtroopers.

The group of four waited in a corner for her to come to them. When she did, she was surprised to see them. At first, she thought they were stormtroopers and she was done for. But when she realized who they were, she was instantly relieved.

"Are you all right?" Han asked quickly.

"Yeah," Rey answered. She was starting to get used to people asking her if she was okay.

"Good."

"What happened?" Finn asked.

"What are you doing here?!" She asked. She was glad they were here, but she also knew how dangerous it was.

"We came back for you," Padme told her. Rey was speechless. All she had ever wanted was for people to come back for her. For the first time, she wasn't alone.

Chewie groaned and Rey smiled even more.

"What'd he say?" Finn asked, the only one who didn't understand the wookie's words.

"That it was your idea," Rey said, looking at Finn, who awkwardly stood next to Padme. He decided to make it less awkward, and stepped forward to hug Rey. The feeling was mutual between the two.

"Thank you," Rey said to him.

"How did you get away?" Padme asked when the two let go.

"I can't explain it. And you wouldn't believe it," Rey said, although Padme had a feeling she would. She smiled.

"Escape now. Hug later," Han said, completely ignoring the interactions, which he would have grown to regret.

"Let's go then, I don't exactly want to be on the planet when it explodes," Padme said.

They ran back outside, which wasn't long as they were already near it.

Sounds of tie fighters and x-wings filled pierced their ears as they ran back. But the tie fighter's slowly got louder, and Padme turned around to watch.

"Guys," She shouted, stopping the rest of the group. They all looked up and watched the battle that they were quickly losing. They were out-manned and out-gunned. They needed help, and quick. "They're in trouble. We can't leave."

"My friend here has a bag full of explosives. Let's use 'em," Han said.

"If we hit the oscillator, it should set off a reaction that cripples the weapon," Finn suggested, but his face turned to serious caution. "I can't promise the planet won't go down with it."

"We can't just leave, we would be sentencing all our pilots to death," Padme said.

"We have to do it, it's the only option," Rey finished all their thoughts.

Padme nodded and started to give out directions. "Finn, Rey, you go outside and open the hatch for us to enter the oscillator. We'll go place the explosives," Padme instructed, but Han was hesitant.

"Padme, you stay with them, I don't want you -"

"I just got you back, Han, I can't lose you again," And with that, Han understood. He was happy to have her back, even though he had a sneaking feeling something was about to go terribly wrong, as per usual.

The team split up; one group to the outside walls, the other back inside.

After a long run back to the base, Padme, Han, and Chewie found the hatch that would give them access to the main oscillator.

Before Rey and Finn opened the doors, three security troopers started approaching the inside occupants near a maintenance hatch. Chewie took out the middle one, but the other two started firing at the group of three.

Something must have set off something, because the halls were filled with the sounds of an alarm.

Rey and Finn managed to find the connecting wires and opened the hatch.

"That girl knows her stuff," Han said, smiling to himself and stepping in. Although she was happy he was happy, Padme couldn't help but be a little jealous of Rey. She'd never had to share him with anyone b ut Ben before -

"Ben," Padme said, feeling his force signature. "He's coming, we have to hurry."

Han and Chewie stayed silent. They had arrived at the destination. Chewie divided the explosives between the three.

"We'll set the charges at every other column," Han whispered. Chewie groaned at them. "You're right. That's a better idea. You take the top."

"I'll go middle," Padme suggested, looking at the piping. She could use enough of the force to push herself between pipes.

"I'll go down below. We'll meet back here," Han said.

The group split.

Truth be told, the same group never joined again. Everyone was a different person when they left that planet. If, that is, they left at all. 

a/n - chapter 35 will indeed be the last chapter! i'm so excited to finish this book, it's been a long journey and i'm so glad i finished it! you guys have been reading since day one, and i owe it to you guys to follow through with all my stories. i can't wait to write more, and i'm so glad you guys have enjoyed this book!

-olivia <333