Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Rey stepped off the falcon ahead of the group, BB-8 by her side. The little droid had become quite fond of the scavenger.

Padme stayed behind with Han and Finn. They were looking for old blasters in case they ran into trouble.

"Hey, Solo, I'm not sure what we're walking into here," He warned the two experienced space travelers.

"D'you just call me 'Solo'?" Han asked. Padme chuckled. She hadn't noticed it until then, but Finn had been calling him that the entire time they were working together. Padme grabbed a blaster and walked over to check on Rey. She saw she was enjoying herself, so she decided to leave her be.

"- Women always figure out the truth," She heard Han tell Finn. They looked at Padme when she entered the room.

"Me? Oh I already know it's bullshit, I found him on the -" She looked at him hesitantly, his wide eyes revealing his eagerness for no one to know his origins. "- planet we crashed on. He helped me get to town," She covered his history up, though they both knew Han would figure it out eventually. "Plus, he isn't exactly resistance material," She said sarcastically. Finn looked at her.

"What's that supposed to mean?" He said. Padme shook her head and smiled.

"Nevermind, stormy," She laughed and walked out to meet Padme.

Behind her, Finn looked at Han next to him with disbelief. Han only smiled and shook his head.

"Women, gotta love 'em," He joked.

Padme met Rey outside. "Enjoying the view?" She asked the newcomer.

"I've never seen anything like this," She was fascinated.

"Yeah, better views than Jakku, I'd say," She said. Han walked up behind them and Padme knew they should have their time. Padme knew her uncle was starting to feel at least a little bit more whole now that Rey was in his life. It was like he had a second chance at being a father.

Padme understood why he wanted it too. His last child didn't end up well. Padme still was unsure of if her uncle knew about Ben or not, but now was not the time to bring it up. He was finally starting to get his emotions together, she wasn't about to wreck that up with a petty question.

"Hey, Finn?" Padme called for him, but she just found him exactly where she had left him.

"What's up?" He asked. He seemed to try to play off everything coolly, but it was just awkward. He stood up and leaned against the wall, but it was just too far away for comfort. He leaned for it, but continued to fall. Padme shot her arms out to make sure he didn't fall, but he caught himself.

"Okay," Padme laughed. "Have you seen BB-7? She hasn't been with me since we landed," She was concerned. She knew there wasn't any danger, but nevertheless, she wanted to keep track of her droid.

"Yeah, um," He was still a bit shaken up from the embarrassing fall he took. "I saw her go back to some room in the back. I think it was empty," He explained.

Padme started towards the room she had hoped she wouldn't enter ever again. But before she left, she turned to Finn. "Thanks, and," She reached out to his shoulder. "Are you sure you're okay?" She asked him, amused.

"Yeah, no yeah, I'm fine, great, fine," He mumbled, standing up straight and waving his hand. "Just fine, thanks."

"Okay," She laughed and turned to the room.

Padme walked to a room no one had entered in years. It now served as a waste of space, a bucket for dust. The room BB-7 had decided to stay in, for reasons unknown to her. The droid had never known the man, and yet she insisted on going to the one room his presence was greatly void.