Chapter 28

Chapter 28

Poe walked past Finn after loading BB-8 into his x-wing. He saw his old jacket, still on Finn's body. He smiled, seeing his jacket look so good on someone else. His ego was bruised at the sight, but it was his friend. He was fine with it.

Padme came next. He approached her at the same speed as she walked towards him.

They stopped in front of each other, before taking the last step and hugging harder than ever before.

"This is it," Padme mumbled. Poe smirked.

"Yup."

"Be safe please," she told him. "I won't be up there to cover your ass if you get in trouble."

"I can't promise anything," Poe joked, and Padme was mildly amused, but still worried. "I'll be okay, Red," he said, picking up on her nerves. "Make sure you get that shield down for us."

Padme smiled, letting go. "We will. Plus, I've got the jacket on now, luck should be on our side," She said. "Maybe even the force."

"Bye, Red," Poe said.

"Bye, Poe."

Padme walked to the Falcon, where Han, Finn, and Chewie were waiting for her near the entrance.

"Come on, kid," Han told her. "We gotta get going."

Padme nodded and turned to give one more smile to Poe before they embarked on the most dangerous mission they had ever been on.

"Chewie, check that donal capitator," Han asked. "Come on. Let's go," He continued, before putting his hand towards Finn. "Finn, be careful with those, they're explosives."

Han walked towards Leia casually while Finn was utterly shocked. "Now you tell me?" Padme walked up to him and laughed.

"You're fine," She patted his shoulder. "As long as you don't drop it. Then we'd be lucky if we had our bodies on the other side," She laughed at his horror.

"No matter how much we fought, I've always hated watching you leave," Padme overheard Leia tell her beloved. Padme smiled at the aged war heroes.

She chose to let them have their moment.

"That's what I did it. So you'd miss me," Han said. Leis laughed, stepping closer to him like she always did before a mission.

"I did miss you," Leia loved him with all her heart, and it killed her every time he left.

"It wasn't all bad, was it? Huh? Some of it was," He paused. "Good."

"Pretty good," Leia answered. She remembered the good days, when the biggest thing they had to worry about was when to wake up in the day. The days after the fall of the Empire, before the rise of the First Order. The days when the original three heroes basked in the sun together.

"Some things never change," Han said, remembering how Luke was always leaving them to their business. But now, it was more than that. The least they could do was remember.

"True. You still drive me crazy," Leia joked, but she wasn't lying. He knew that.

Han placed his hands on her shoulders and looked at her, before the two gripped onto eachother in a hug the galaxy had never seen before.

A hug of knowledge, that this may be the last time they would see each other.

"If you see our son again, bring him home."

"I will," Han left Leia, not knowing his last words to her would be a promise he couldn't keep. At least, not now.

Padme knew it was a sensitive time, but she knew it could be her last time seeing her aunt too. It was less likely for her to die, but it was still on the table.

"Padme," She smiled. "Your father would be proud of you," She said, looking at the girl with pain in her heart.

Padme smiled solemnly. "How do you know?" She asked, head dropping to her chest.

"Because I am," She said, smiling at the young woman in front of her. "I love you, Padme."

"I love you too," Padme felt a tear fall from her cheek as she was pulled into a hug from her aunt. "Hold down the fort until we return, okay?"

Leia was silent.

"We will come back," Padme said, trying to convince the general of their safe return, but she was also trying to convince herself more and more as the day progressed.

"I can tell you don't believe that," Leia whispered to her. Padme took a deep breath, not wanting to answer the woman's statement.

But the tense air around them forced her to speak. "I don't know what I believe," She confessed. "Ever since dad and ben," She couldn't finish her sentence. The pain was still there, and it would never leave. "Everything's felt wrong, like this wasn't supposed to happen."

"I feel it too," Leia said.

The twin was force sensitive, much more than most people realized, but she chose not to talk about it much, which is why Padme was surprised when she did.

"We should go," Finn said, walking up to the two. "I'm sorry."

Padme smiled. "Don't be. We've said what we need to say."

Leia nodded. "Take care of Han," she told them.

Padme smiled. "I'll try."

"How are we getting in?" Finn asked. They were in hyperspace, but they had to land soon.

"Their shields have a fractional refresh rate. Keeps anything traveling slower than lightspeed from getting through," Han answered.

Finn's face turned from curiosity to dread in a fraction of a second. "We're gonna make our landing approach at lightspeed?!"

Chewie warbled a "Hell yeah," knowing if he was going out, he was going with a bang.

"Trust me, it's not the worst idea he's ever had," Padme assured.

"Is that supposed to help?!"

Chewie groaned again, letting Padme and Han know they were approaching the planet.

"Strap in, Finn," Padme warned back to him, and he sat down in the passenger chair. Padme followed quickly, crouching in the crack of the center console.

"And now!" Han shouted, flipping switches and pulling out of the tranquility of lightspeed, into slamming trees at the front of the ship.