Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Padme woke in the heat of the desert, at least 3 klicks from her ship. She looked to the other ridge and saw another smoking ship just on the other side of the ridge, Poe's ship. She recovered quite quickly, making her way to the ship. When she got over the ridge, she heard Finn shouting.

"Poe!" He screamed. No, she thought. "Poe!" Finn shouted again, running over the dune to the tie fighter. She ran towards him, fear blinding her from thinking.

"No!" She shouted, catching attention from Finn. He looked at her, but looked back and ran into the fighter.

"Poe!" He screamed, but Padme noticed something heating up.

"Finn, get out of there!" She shouted, running towards him again.

"Poe!" He shouted another time. Padme reached him and grabbed his arm, pulling him out. Just as she did, the ship started to sink in the sand. Creaking and bubbling sounds took over the air. She ran back, luckily Finn followed her. She noticed something dragging in his hand but didn't bother to look back until she was safe from the area. She ran until she didn't hear the creaking of the sinking ship anymore.

She turned to see an empty dune. The ship was gone. Poe was gone.

"Sinking fields. Famous on Jakku, not to be trifled with," She looked down at what Finn was holding. "That's Poe's jacket," She said. He looked down at it and brought it up for her to grab. "No, I have my own. Keep it for shade," She noticed he was still in his trooper attire. "And take that off, you'll overheat," She took off her own black jacket and put it over her head for shade. It didn't do much against the sweltering heat of Jakku.

They started to walk, searching for a town. Padme would have tried to sense one, but she was too miserable to think. So, they started on their journey, headed nowhere. Padme only hoped the force would guide them to where they needed to be.

Slowly, each layer of Finn's suit was removed. It created a path, but Padme was too tired to protest. They walked for a long time in silence, and Padme was happy with that., She thought of the good time she had the night before, talking with Poe. She had just gotten him as a friend.

Her thoughts were interrupted when Finn decided to ask the question that had been racking his brain for a while.

"So, uh," He started. Padme didn't look up, trying to save as much energy as possible. "Skywalker, huh?" He asked

"Yup," She answered. Really? She asked. She was not in the mood to explain her life story.

"As in, Luke Skywalker?" He pushed. She was amused with his curiosity, no one had ever been introduced to her without previous knowledge of her lineage.

"Yup. Daughter to Luke, Granddaughter to Anakin," She realized he probably wouldn't know who Anakin was. "Or, as most people know him," She looked at him to see his reaction to what she would tell him next. "Darth Vader."

He stopped walking for a second, shocked by the news. "What?" She chuckled.

"He wasn't all bad."

"He had children?!" She laughed.

"Everyone has a soft spot, his was for a Senator during the times of the Republic," She explained. "I was named after her, my grandmother," She remembered the time her father explained this to her. "Padme Amidala, she was beautiful. At least, that's what Anakin said,"

"How did you know him? He died," Finn asked.

"He visited my father sometimes, his force ghost at least," She knew he was confused. "I'll tell you more later," She dismissed, smiling. "Damn, it's hot!" She shouted. He laughed for a second but stopped to get her attention.

"Padme, look," She moved her attention to where he was pointing. "A town."

"Niima Outpost," She recognized. "It's a filthy town, run by a greedy merchant who deals with the First Order. It isn't the most ideal place to recoup, but it will do." She told him. She looked around for something to slide down into the valley on. She found two pieces of metal debris. She looked around for what it could have come from. She stood in awe when she saw a star destroyer in the distance. "Woah," She looked away and gave Finn the other piece of debris.

"What the hell am I supposed to do with this?" He asked.

"Ride it, duh," She sat down on it and pushed forward, sledding into the valley.

"Wait, Padme!" He shouted, but she could barely hear him. She was flying down the hill. She laughed, she hadn't done anything like this in a long time. She used to sled when it would snow at the temple, but that was years ago.

Before she knew it, she was at the bottom. Finn was soon to follow. She stood up and looked at the town. The heat settled in her body again. Her mouth was as dry as it had ever been. Finn walked to her side.

"Let's go, pretty boy," She said.

"What?"

"Hmm?" She asked, smiling. "I didn't say anything,"

"Yeah you did, you called me pretty." He laughed.

"Oh? Did I? I don't remember that," She looked away smiling and started to walk towards the town. "Alright. What's the plan?" She asked.

"We need water, there must be some out here," He said, now panting from the heat. He collapsed a bit, starting to fall to the ground.

"Finn!" She shouted. She caught him going down, placing a hand on his back and chest. She looked at him, concern for her new friend taking over her heart. He looked up at her and they got caught in the moment. Padme interrupted their eye contact with a reflection of her concern. "We need to get there faster. Do you trust me?" She asked, an idea trickling into her memory.

"Kinda?" He responded, leaning back from her face a bit.

"Eh, good enough," She said, before reaching out to him and lifting him with the force.

"Woah, Skywalker, what are you doing?" He started to panic, but she just laughed.

"I'm helping you. Let's go," It was draining her significantly, but she knew not to give up. This was like intense training. With life or death stakes. Hers included. And the future of the resistance hanging in the balance. Shit, she realized this was much more important than she was treating it. And she was running out of energy, she couldn't hold him much longer.

She sped up, bringing Finn with her.

"Padme, you need to put me down. You're gonna pass out," He said. She could barely hear him through her fatigue and heavy breathing.

"Damn, I thought I was hiding it well-" She collapsed, Finn touching the ground as she fell to it.

"Padme! Seriously?" He rushed to her. He grabbed her and hobble into town. "Water?" He seemed to ask almost everyone in the town, including the mean ones. "Help, do you have water?" He asked an old woman who was cleaning a scrap.

"Finn, look," Padme weakly pointed to a giant watering hole just outside of the tents. He gasped when he saw the Happabore drinking from a giant well. He rushed over and they dropped to the water to drink. Padme is instantly disgusted but is too thirsty to stop.

"Ugh, nasty," Finn said, but soon returned to drinking the water. Padme began to feel her strength come back. She reached out to the force and gathered energy from the giant creature next to them, who soon shoved over Finn, tossing him to the ground. With her energy mostly restored, she looked at what Finn was watching. A young woman was fighting with two thugs. Something was under a sack next to them, struggling to be released. Is that...

a/n - if you've already read this, you'll see a minute detail i had to change - padme has never met anakin before, only luke has. there was a plothole i had to fix for later okay byee

- olivia <333