The Proposal

Rey scrambled to finish tidying the desk and placed her hands behind her back, it was too late to get out of the office so she feigned innocence as Ben strode through the doors with a face as dark as thunder.

'Rey, to what do I owe the pleasure?'

'You being a disgusting pig. I came in here to clean up a little.'

Ben rolled his eyes.

'Haven't you ever heard of organised chaos Rey?'

'And haven't you ever hear of a trash can Mr Solo?'

Ben sighed and sat down at his desk. Rey fidgeted and looked at the door longingly.

'Well I'll leave you to it!' She said cheerfully and made a move for the open exit...

'Wait a minute.' Ben said.

Rey froze.

'Okay.' She replied.

'Can you get me the Peterman file please?'

Oh god.

'The P-P-Peterman file Sir?'

'Yes Rey that's the one. I'm glad you could interpret my cryptic code.'

'Right away Sir.' Rey said and practically ran for the door.

She shut the door behind her and lay against it.

Oh god.

What was she going to do! She looked at her wedding finger. Yup. It was still there. Well what had she been expecting that it would just casually fall off her finger and solve all her problems? Idiot!

Rey located the Peterman file and chewed her thumb nail trying to think of something she could do to hide....ah ha!

Rey marched back into the office and handed Ben the file.

'Here you are! Now if you will excuse me, I have a busy afternoon of paperwork to attend to so....'

'Rey, what happened to your hand?' Ben said with alarm.

Rey looked down at her left hand which she had haphazardly wrapped in an out of date bandage she had swiped from the companies first Aid box.

'Oh nothing! Jammed it.' She said dismissively.

'You jammed it?' Ben said with concern getting up from his desk and walking around it to get to her.

Rey took a step back.

'It's fine I promise! Probably doesn't even warrant a bandage, I'm just being dramatic.'

You could say that again! What an excellent idea this was! Why couldn't she have just had the good sense to wear a dress with pockets! Now he was reaching out for her hand...

'No!' Rey said rather too loudly as she pulled her hand out of Ben's reach.

'Rey please...' Ben said, 'Let me look.'

There was something in his eyes that momentarily hypnotised her and she put her hand in his. Ben ran his thumb softly over the bandaged back of her hand and she suppressed a shiver.

'Where does it hurt?' He asked with a frown.

'It doesn't really! Like I said I'm just a bit of a drama queen.'

'Rey, you are lots of things but I would never describe you as a drama queen.'

Well that was a loaded comment. She wanted to ask for an itemised list of all the things Ben would describe her as, but realised it wasn't really the best time. She filed it away to refer to later and returned to the task at hand getting her hand back from her boss. Even if it did feel really nice to have him fuss over her while he carefully caressed her 'injury'......