The 'fake' engagement party

Ben's gaze was fixed firmly on his mother and Rey suspected he was hoping she would spontaneously combust before his eyes.

Unaware of her son's murderous thoughts, Leia came towards them with a brilliant smile. Rey placed a hand on Ben's arm and squeezed. Equal parts hoping to reassure him and prevent him from strangling anyone.

'Well now aren't you surprised? You should see your faces! Oh what fun this is!' Leia said gleefully, clapping her hands.

'I thought I told you to keep our engagement to yourself, mother?'' Ben hissed.

'Oh keep your hair on. It's just a few close friends.'

A few close friends?

The room looked like opening night at a Broadway show.

'This is way out of line.' Ben warned her.

'Oh, What's the harm? Stop being so angry and go have some fun. Just look at the pile of gifts! Everyone has been so generous.'

Gifts? There were gifts?

Rey looked at the table Leia was gesturing too. It was overflowing with colourful packages and envelopes.

'Wow.' Rey said. Ben frowned at her.

Rey shrugged, 'I'm sorry, but it is an impressive haul and we're not even married yet!'

'It wouldn't be right...'Ben hissed at her.

'Sorry, yeah you're right, but we can't refuse them either surely, wouldn't that be...ruder?' Rey moved closer to the table.

'Rey...' Ben warned.

Rey took another step towards the table.

'Oh leave her alone.'' Leia scolded, 'Go ahead my dear.'

Rey picked up one of the boxes and shook it.

'Sounds expensive.' She said with a gleeful grin.

Ben's nostrils flared. Rey rolled her eyes at him. Could she not enjoy anything without him spoiling it? She put the present down and sulked back to Ben's side.

'Let's leave the Grinch here, you come with me, my dear!' Leia said and took Rey's arm.

Leia introduced her to about fifty people and she couldn't remember any of their names but she smiled and laughed at their silly jokes and gave vague answers to their questions about her relationship with Ben.

When at last Leia released her, Rey found Ben moping at the bar nursing a dry martini.

'Come on Ben.' Rey coaxed. 'The secret is well and truly out now, we might as well enjoy the party.'

'This is just like me mother, to go against my wishes and try to control my life.' Ben growled.

'She's just trying to be nice, in her own way.'

'You don't know her like I do Rey. I'm just a pawn to her. You think this party is about us? It's not. It's 100% about her.'

'Well so what if it is? No reason why you and I can't have fun.' Rey nudged his arm playfully.

Ben finally looked at her, and for a moment they just stared into each other's eyes. Rey silently pleaded for him to understand.

Can't you see I need this? Come on, let Cinderella have her night at the ball.

Ben finally nodded and took her hand. The moment they turned to join the party Leia appeared before them with a bunch of trust fund socialites in her wake.