Rules of Engagement

They were silent in the back of the taxi. Ben held her hand for the entire journey, and Rey welcomed the contact between them.

Where had this Ben been hiding? Rey wondered. Years of pent-up anger and irritation for her boss were melting away in just a few short hours, spent with this heroic version of the man she thought she knew.

Who are you really, Ben Solo? she pondered.

Ben caught her staring at him and she quickly turned away so he wouldn't see her cheeks flush.

Jeez Rey, you're acting like a schoolgirl with a crush. Get. It. Together.

Rey decided to blame temporary insanity for her emotional state, it had been a crazy day after all. Surely it was okay to lean on her fake fiancé at a time like this? Everyone deserves a shoulder to cry on once in a while.

As soon as they got to Ben's place, he showed her to a very extravagant guest room with the biggest bed Rey had ever seen, and soft bedding that looked like fluffy white clouds plucked from the sky. She wanted to climb straight in and snuggle down under the covers, but realised she had nothing to wear.

She turned to face Ben, who hovered in the doorway.

'Ah of course, you have nothing to sleep in. Let me get you something,' he said.

Wow. Can this Ben read minds too?

Rey found an adjoining en-suite attached to her bedroom and washed her face. Great. She was a big blotchy mess from crying. That was attractive, but she didn't need to be concerned about how attractive she was, did she? She didn't want to attract Ben Solo... did she? Why was this all so complicated? Rey put her head in her hands.

'Rey?' Ben asked tentatively, pushing the door to the bathroom open.

'Yeah?' she said with a tired smile.

Ben held out what looked like a tent.

'Here's one of my t-shirts,' he mumbled. Rey took it.

'Thanks.'

'I'm just down the hall if you need anything.'

'Thanks again,' Rey said with a small smile.

They looked at each other for a moment. The atmosphere between them felt heavy. Things were definitely changing between them, but Rey wasn't sure what that meant just yet.

'Goodnight Rey.'

'Goodnight Ben.'

Ben nodded awkwardly at her and left. Rey changed into Ben's t-shirt, which turned out to make quite a fetching nightgown on her, and climbed into bed. She groaned out loud at how soft the mattress was. Oh yes. She could get used to this.

Rey was asleep within minutes, and slept so soundly that she didn't hear the bedroom door creak open. Or the heavy footsteps Ben laid across the floor as he sneaked inside to check on her, then quietly returned to his own room.

**********
Bacon. Bacon. Bacon.

Rey's eyes popped open. There was no mistaking that smell. Someone was cooking bacon. Rey jumped out of bed and followed the delicious scent down the stairs to the impressively-sized kitchen.

She saw Ben faced away from her, hunched over a frying pan. He wore sweatpants and a white vest. Rey licked her lips — because of the delicious smell of bacon. Yes, that was the reason. The only reason.

'Hi,' Rey said brightly, before realising all she had on was an oversized t-shirt and panties.

Shit. Why hadn't she thought to put on her bra before bounding down the stairs at least? Stupid always-hungry stomach...