Chapter 14

Things had finally started looking up Amy. She and Jack had started working on their issues, their relationship wasn't perfect or anything but at least there was now a relationship to work on. Karma and Amy were back to being Karma and Amy, things were awkward at times but they'd learnt to move past those moments of doubts and uncertainty to the moments of happiness and friendship.

Amy and Karma decided to have a movies night, just like old times. They were going to binge watch John Hughes movies, tonight.

"What do you want to start with?" Amy asked.

"What do we have?" Karma asked, eating popcorn as she took a seat on Amy's bed.

"Pretty in Pink or Sixteen Candles?" Amy asked, holding up DVDs of both the movies.

"Um.. Sixteen Candles." Karma said.

"That's what I was thinking." Amy said, getting off the bed to set the movie up. As Amy headed toward the DVD player, when her phone buzzed. She picked up the phone and smiled to herself when she saw Regan's name flash on the screen. Amy replied and went back to setting up the movie but was interrupted within a second by another text.

"Who do you keep texting?" Karma asked.

"Regan." Amy said, without looking up from her phone. She was so preoccupied with replying to Regan, that Amy didn't even see the confused look on Karma's face.

"Whose Regan?" Karma asked, confused.

"Oh, she's just this girl who I met at Shane's house." Amy said.

"You've never mentioned her." Karma said, feeling a little left out.

"Yeah I know but she and I've gotten close only now." Amy said, as she finished setting up the movie.

"How close, are you guys?" Karma asked, trying to see as casual as possible.

Amy gave Karma a look as she walked toward the bed. "She's a friend."

"Do you like her?" Karma asked, not knowing why she'd ask something like that but she couldn't help herself.

"How does that matter?" Amy said, picking up the remote to start the movie. She wasn't in the mood to have this conversation; she just wanted to watch the movie.

"I just, I just want to know." Karma said.

"I don't know." Amy said,

"What you mean, you don't know?" Karma asked.

"I mean that, we could've been something but with everything with my dad, I just wasn't ready." Amy said.

"Are you ready now?" Karma asked.

"Yeah, maybe. I don't know." Amy said, picking up the remote again.

Karma tried protesting but before she could, Amy played the movie.

Karma'd always been curious but she didn't know why she needed to know everything that was going on between Amy and Regan so badly. Maybe Karma just wanted to know that Amy would still confide in her or maybe it was because she wasn't used to having people be in Amy's life, who she didn't know anything about. Karma chose not to push the topic and instead just went on with her movie marathon, trying to enjoy it as best as she could.

Amy and Shane met for coffee the next day, insistent on not losing touch again.

"So, how are things with you and your dad?" Shane asked.

"They're pretty great actually. He gave me some advice about Karma." Amy said.

"Wow, what'd he say?" Shane asked, leaning a little closer to hear what Amy had to say.