prologue

Coffee was sitting on the desk. Already cold. A stain already making its permanent mark on the smooth surface. Y/n didn't like coffee and yet it was there. Staring at her.

"Y/n?"

A pen was stuck in her mouth as she chewed at it, it was a bad habit of hers. She reckons that she got said habit back in middle school when she was introduced to the fact that math tests were indeed very hard to do. Her brow was furrowed as she made sure to look over the notes again and again. The person who spoke to her thought that she didn't hear him the first time, until she finally spoke a single word. The tone rough and hard──she didn't like being interrupted.

"What?"

Her tone was always dry and cold. She was always focused on work. Nothing more.

"Er──need any help?"

"No."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

The colleague of y/n merely bowed and apologized for interrupting her work.

But,

Before her colleague left he took a step back towards y/n. A smug smile on his face as he liked messing with her at times.

"Don't forget that you have to go to that hero banquet later."

"Mmm," was the only response that y/ n gave in acknowledgment.

The colleague merely sweat-dropped, what am I going to do with her, he thought as he left y/n to her work. Y/n completely ignoring his attempt to fluster her at the fact she had to go somewhere.

All the while, Hawks sat on the edge of a building directly across from the police station. His eyes focused on the girl hard at work as per usual.